New Shed - New Dish

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
HI ALL

It seems my brick shed is slightly higher than I first thought (not a fan of heights). This is going to cause a bit of a problem as to getting my motorised dish set back up. I do have a south facing wall so that might have to be used, but the dish will probably overhang into my neighbours garden. Is there any sort of brackets that can take the dish outward and forward? As I say, me and ladders don't mix well.

ADVICE PLEASE GUYS :D

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I had two heavy duty ones, at my old address, that had 3 legs, that attached to the wall, and moved the pole out about 2 feet, these then had rings, that secured the 3" pole, for my Jaeger 1224, and 1.2M Channel Master.
They were sturdy enough but I had to set the motor limits, to stop the dish hitting the wall. The good news was that they lasted quite a number of years, in some bad weather, without the dish, or motor, needing much maintenance.
I didn't have a south facing wall, but found an area that allowed me to get 5W to 39E.
One of the reasons I moved, to my new house, was to get a nice, open, south facing garden, for a ground mounted system, makes life so much easier;)

The brackets were similar to this:
bracket.jpg

Last edited:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Moving house is not an option here I'm afraid :). Look like good strong brackets.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
They were, at least the ones I had, the picture is from Satellitesuperstore, who are expensive, but I'm sure you can get similar, made to your specification, from a local engineering firm.
First you need to work out how far they need to stand out, to allow your dish to track the satellite arc.
Can you set the pole into the ground and have the brackets used as support, attached to your new shed?

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I have been out in the yard working this out. I can't put any poles in the ground so that option is out. If I had to fit brackets to the west facing wall, they would have to come out some way so that I can track the arc. Hmm. They would probably look daft so the only option I am left with is to fit (I will describe) it looks like a T-joint that fixes to the wall and comes out about 19 inches with an elbow joint that goes upward. I can get one for about £19. My preferred method is to still have the dish above the new shed roof, but being lousy at heights will not help me so that's a non-starter even though it's only seven and a half feet high. Looks as tall as a mountain to me. Otherwise I may have to visit a local steel fabrication company.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Have you checked on dishpointer.com?
That helped me to decide where to site my dish.
Put in your postcode, zoom in on the map, moving the green icon to your house, and select the nearest satellite, to your true south.
The photographs are a little out of date but the obstacle checker feature also helped me to find out how high I needed to siter the dish, to avoid neighbouring houses, and trees.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
OK guys. First I don't need to use dishpointer as I know what I'm doing. But, this afternoon I had a word with my lovely old neighbour and she said it would be OK if the dish arm was overhanging her garden as it would be high up anyway. Going to order the T bracket/elbow joint to put on the south facing wall. All sorted now. :)

Thanks for info there, Pete. Didn't know you could get such a thing as that. Interesting and worth knowing about. Sadly I don't speak French, but my wife used to teach French & German.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Anyway here is the item I'm thinking about buying.
Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181099614967?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm sure it will be fine for what I need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
This brick shed I'm having built is causing me some headaches for setting my dish motor up. I decided not to buy the elbow joint bracket in favour of T & K's. But which size to use? If I use 12 inch stand off that will gave me 8-9 inches from the wall with a pole and when the motor is added that is about 20 inch from the wall. With 18 inch TK's, (14 inch from wall with pole) then to the motor stub that rises to 23 inch. Obviously there is the dish bracket which will add distance too. I favour the 12 inch stand off as it will make life easier when fitting them to the wall.

So begs the question. If I'm going to be using a 1m (Technomate 100x90cm) dish, which would be the best size of TK's to use? Thanks in advance folks! :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
@Tony1A : I've merged the original Topic with this one for continuity and so any new punters can get the whole story ;)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
That's OK Tivu!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
You know, I'm wondering if I'm banging my head against the wall here. If I can't sort it myself (which I would like to do) then I may be forced to call in an installer who does motorised satellite setups. I have found one not too far from where I live and that could be my only option. I really want the dish on the side of my brick shed above the roof, but the fear of heights is not a good one.

Am I just copping out? Opinions please :)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tony, FWIW I'm not good with heights either. My motorised set up (as you can see) is just below the gutter but I can be reasonably confident to work on it standing just above the first section of a two piece ladder. I found it easier to mount the dish bracket onto the motor stub (and align it to the centre line) at ground level, take the motor and bracket up and mount it on your T&K brackets and mast, then take the dish face up and mount it onto the bracket.
Motorised.JPG

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Thanks for that, Pete! Yeah, I'm looking at all options. I will sort something as I want my multi-satellite viewing back :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
And I think I might have the answer. If I fit the 12 inch stand off TK's and use a short pole, I would leave a foot above the top bracket. This would enable me to fit the motor and then the dish by just standing on a small step ladder and that would be OK. No heights to worry about :)

If I had this fitted above my brick shed roof and anything went wrong I would not be able to get to it to sort it out and that means paying someone. Out of the question for me. So it looks like I have hit upon a solution. What do you guys think about this?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
With such a short projection above the top bracket, you should be ok: Not much scope for flexing.

Go for it.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Exactly! That is what I thought. I reckon once you get up to about 2 feet and above the top bracket then you're asking for bother as it would to start to flex in the wind too much. This is sounding like a great idea!!! :D

This will be happening in a few weeks. The brick shed will be complete about the middle of next week. But there is so much other stuff to do inside first. One step at a time.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I've been in the yard planning and plotting (LOL). The only thing I will have to do is drill a hole in the K bracket just above where the bottom mounting hole is as the fixing would go into the space between the bricks - not a good thing to do. I think when all set up, the dish reflector will be 60cms (2 feet) from the wall so when the time comes I will have to see how far I can get the dish around (east) before it goes into the wall. Should have plenty clearance on a 1m dish.

Just to say, I'm going to use those satellite fixing bolts that have the nylon 10mm wall plug. These things are stronger than they look and I've already got loads of them :)

Last edited: