New to Spectrum Analyser Technology

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4.2 meter prime focus with invacom lnb
My Location
cyprus
Dear all,

As you already know or maybe you know I'm new to the satellite community. I just got my satlink 6932 and I've been experimenting with the spectrum analyzer. I'd say it's the most helpful tool I've ever used to find a satellite. Can someone explain how co can make the most out of it? Is it better to have higher mountains or it's better when it's more evenly distributed?? Any tips when trying to find a new satellite?? Any tools I can use in order to find a satellite easier?? And faster? I'm a newbie and it takes too long until I find a new satellite. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The higher the peaks, the better the signal, the smoother the curves at the top, the better the quality.

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Thanks a lot and what instruments do you use to find the azimuth??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Also what does it mean when you have a signal of 13 db and some channels of the same provider for example i get 9 db on sky sport 3 hd but it says service not found! Sid not found in PAT.. But 9 db is acceptable i think.. Thanks

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Also satlink didn't come with nilesat on it and some satellites need update :/ how can i do it?? Sorry for the question,s are many..

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No idea about the updating, but 9db isn't a signal reading, it's a carrier to noise reading, signal readings should be up in the 60s.

Don't need to know azimuth, although I may guess it for pointing purposes, but dishpointer will give you an approximation.

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
The less the c/n the better??

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, the higher the reading the better, C/N (Carrier to noise), is the difference between the noise floor and the carrier, so the bigger the difference, the higher quality the signal.

Last edited:

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Nice :) how can I put the lnb on the right angle according to my location? I have the lnb skew number but i dont know if i have turned it right.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Use the quality reading, that's the advantage you have with owning a meter, whilst you can be guided by given settings, the meter will give you the actual results. The correct LNB skew will render the best signal quality, MER, BER and C/N.

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Nice :) how can I put the lnb on the right angle according to my location? I have the lnb skew number but i dont know if i have turned it right.

Bit blunt but basically turn the lnb and see if the meter reading increases or decreases in strength/quality....

Best of luck.

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Hmm thanks for all the advice... has the highest signal something to do with some channels not opening? For instance sky sports 3 hd has 16 db on the sat finder of dreambox and loads fine. But sky sport 2 hd has 9 db and on the sat finder and doesn't tune right.. Is there a chance of balancing the signal evenly? I mean 16 db is unnecessary on sky sport 3 hd..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
i get 9 db on sky sport 3 hd but it says service not found! Sid not found in PAT.. But 9 db is acceptable i think.
It means the transponder is active but not carrying the channel you are trying to receive.

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Also what does constellation do?? What can i use it for?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
At this stage you can ignore constellation, if all of your other readings are spot on, then the constellation will be tight. With QPSK you will be looking for four tight dots and for 8PSK you will be looking for 8, the more ragged they are, the worse the signal quality.
Code:
http://images.dipol.com.pl/images/info/000103.gif

washoris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
cyprus
Thanks a lot! What does it mean when I get the c/n a bit higher by turning the lnb and lose some channels but gain others?? :/

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Also what does constellation do?
Constellation is just a graphical representation of MER. Some meters show all 4 cells of the quadrature while others only show one box. The idea is the points are tightly grouped. It lets you see at a glance how well the aerial system is working on any transponder without the need to read or process any numbers.