No signal

foxymorris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax satellite dish, unicom LNB , TriStar HDSR500 decoder box
My Location
Dordogne France
Hi all new today.
So Triax dish and a TriStar hdsr500 decoder, perfect alignment with Astra2 using app I always use ,no signal or quality strength.
The dish works fine on TV with built in decoder but we're in France and TV to big for caravan, had a smaller one but it was damaged, this Samsung has a sat in but no decoder.
All leads checked and perfect.
I've done a set up several times but never with a separate box, tried a diff LNB same result.
I'm thinking the Freesat box is faulty, ant suggestions welcome
Thanks.
AL.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
What size dish are you using and where in France are you? The Freesat box will be looking for the Freesat 'home' transponder which is on the UK beam and therefore the further south you are the less chance you have of reception.

Does the receiver have any manual tuning options? Also not sure what you mean by "Samsung has a sat in but no decoder"? If it has a satellite input it should be able to tune free-to-air channels.

foxymorris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dordogne France
Hi and thanks for replying, the dish is 24" and in the Dordogne area.
The TV has a sat input but no decoder built in, I've been on forums and others have had same issue with this TV.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, location plays a big part in this, plus how do you know you are pointing at the correct satellite?

foxymorris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dordogne France
I use two apps, I've used them many times in the UK and always worked.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Hi and thanks for replying, the dish is 24" and in the Dordogne area.
I suspect the dish may be too small for that location, if not it will require much more accurate alignment than when in the UK or north France, a simple meter with audible tone will help to align the dish more accurately.

Are you able to manually tune 11836 H 27500 5/6 DVB-S QPSK? That is a Europe beam transponder which should be easy to receive on your dish.

foxymorris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dordogne France
So it would appear that I've been looking in the wrong place, all the input options on the TV are in the input selection area, the sat in input is actually in the settings, so I'm now tuning the TV via the astra 2E , currently up to 315 channels and 45 radio.
I'll let you know if they work.
Thanks all
AL.