No sound on Freesat

alben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ex sky, now freesat
My Location
essex
My parents have recently cancelled sky, as I also intend to do before long. As I understand it their card should now act as a Freesat card? the problem is they do not have any sound on the Freesat channels, sound is fine through the aerial. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to the cause.

Alan

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
HAve they nudged any of the SCART leads on the back of the box or TV ?

alben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ex sky, now freesat
My Location
essex
No I checked the scart, the connections seem fine, the strange thing is the audio loudness control on the ex sky remote no longer works. Every other function is OK so it is not batteries which are fairly new.
I did call sky tech support today, they said to power down the box, then reverse the scart, power up again. I will try this next time I visit my parents, but I am skeptical that this could be the solution as no changes have been made to their setup, apart from cancelling sky.

Alan

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
alben said:
No I checked the scart, the connections seem fine, the strange thing is the audio loudness control on the ex sky remote no longer works. Every other function is OK so it is not batteries which are fairly new.

I don't think the remote has much to do with it as you have confirmed the TV volume works on the normal aerial channels.

Have you had them pull the plug on everything sitting in the corner, made a cup of tea, and then powered everything up again ?

Just a thought, how are your parents watching the signals from the box, via another channel (6, 8, 0 ?) , through another box (such as a video or SCART splitter), or via a dedicated AV input ?

You do know it is probably something silly :)...........

alben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ex sky, now freesat
My Location
essex
Hi CH, just to say that when watching through the aerial channels they are using the panasonic remote, the pany tv is about 1 month old and worked fine with sky, as soon as the sky service ended so did the sound on freesat. Their setup is simple same as before they canceled sky, sky box scart to tv, aerial to tv. I will call them tomorrow and ask them to turn off the power for a few minutes, they are very elderly and frail so it may have to wait for my next visit

Alan

alben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ex sky, now freesat
My Location
essex
Before I visited my parents today, I had called sky support. I was connected to a very nice lady possibly in India, she sugested reversing the scart lead between tv and ex sky box, to my surprise this did the trick.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm sure you would have had the same effect by unplugging and refitting without reversing it. There was a bad connection on one of the ends (both if you were unlucky!) and you simply remade it.