Advice Needed Norsat 4108CF Ku band LNB

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi, is this LNB designed to fit on a feedhorn please, I have been offered the LNB and a feedhorn, they are both unused, I am unsure if they would be any use to me,
DSCN6994.JPG DSCN6995.JPG

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I meant KU band thanks :-doh now edited, ok I will start again.

Hi, is the LNB in my first post designed to fit on a feedhorn please, I have been offered the LNB and a feedhorn, they are both unused, I am unsure if they would be any use to me,

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
I've used that type of lnb on a couple of setups I've had in combination with a c band lnb on a Chapparal corotor. This is a pic of what I was using:

untitled(3).jpg

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
Last edited:
A

archive10

Missed this posting in the Christmas hubba.
From your pics, this is an CM/Andrew/ASC/xxx feed horn. So worh abou 30 GBP or so.
The LNB not so much, I would think.

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
hello martin. I also missed your post (dec 20 is my b-day!) yes the LNB is designed to fit on a feedhorn. I've attached norsat & skyware spec sheets for reference. I love sat related hardware so I am biased. I would take them up on the offer. However only you can determine if it suits a need or want of yours.

Contrary to what gilbertini posted ('Im going by model# in pic) the LNB is not a PLL design it is a DRO unit. However the Norsat 4000 series DRO types are quite good just not as stable as a PLL. It is a Norsat so it should be high quality. Please note 2 items on the LNB. Its freq range is LIMITED to 10.95-11.70 GHZ Ku band. Its LO freq is 10.0GHZ.

As for the feedhorn kit it looks like a brand new Skyware Global unit (similar to what I installed on Winston recently). From the pic it looks to be a single polarity C120 waveguide flange. it might come with a c-120 to wr-75 flange adapter to mate with the LNB.
Just be aware that Skyware make different versions of feedhorn. See if you can find out the model or part # of the feedhorn kit. Some are single linear polarity some are dual circular polarity. Some are narrow 11.7-12.2 GHZ Ku band some are wideband. Some Skyware feedhorns only have a C120 circular waveguide opening flange. The Norsat LNB is a WR-75 rectangular waveguide opening flange. So they may not bolt together properly without an adapter plate.

Attachments

• 4000_lnb1.pdf
    537.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Ku-band_Rx_Feed.pdf
    323.6 KB · Views: 17

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thank you Kevin, the chap wanted £70 for the pair, i did not bother in the end, but I will be looking into the high end stuff at a later date.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I think my first LNB only did 10.95-11.70GHz too and cost £70-£100 back in the early 90s.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
hello martin. I also missed your post (dec 20 is my b-day!) yes the LNB is designed to fit on a feedhorn. I've attached norsat & skyware spec sheets for reference. I love sat related hardware so I am biased. I would take them up on the offer. However only you can determine if it suits a need or want of yours.

Contrary to what gilbertini posted ('Im going by model# in pic) the LNB is not a PLL design it is a DRO unit. However the Norsat 4000 series DRO types are quite good just not as stable as a PLL. It is a Norsat so it should be high quality. Please note 2 items on the LNB. Its freq range is LIMITED to 10.95-11.70 GHZ Ku band. Its LO freq is 10.0GHZ.

As for the feedhorn kit it looks like a brand new Skyware Global unit (similar to what I installed on Winston recently). From the pic it looks to be a single polarity C120 waveguide flange. it might come with a c-120 to wr-75 flange adapter to mate with the LNB.
Just be aware that Skyware make different versions of feedhorn. See if you can find out the model or part # of the feedhorn kit. Some are single linear polarity some are dual circular polarity. Some are narrow 11.7-12.2 GHZ Ku band some are wideband. Some Skyware feedhorns only have a C120 circular waveguide opening flange. The Norsat LNB is a WR-75 rectangular waveguide opening flange. So they may not bolt together properly without an adapter plate.

Hi Kevin, what setup do you have for C band at the moment please, on any /all dishes also any pictures would be nice as and when you can :), I also have a feedhorn for you to take a look at if you would be so kind :).

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
Hi Kevin, what setup do you have for C band at the moment please, on any /all dishes also any pictures would be nice as and when you can :), I also have a feedhorn for you to take a look at if you would be so kind :).
Hi martin. On "Elisha" currently I have a Chaparral dual c-band feedhorn with two norsat model 3220 lnbs (1 for H 1 for V). the norsats are very expensive however .... about 150 GBP each. I took the bullseye2 off simple cause I wasn't watching a lot of ku. I use my fta dish for my main tv viewing so I want the best lnb I can afford. If you look at what lnbs are on a professional Canadian cable tv company's (equivalent to Sky or BT) satellite dishes chances are good its a Norsat. My norsats both need 18V Dc power so I had to modify the internal circuitry of a multiswitch to change the horizontal voltage of 13vdc to 18vdc. You could use a powered multiswtich I think (like a EMP-centauri or a Spaun) but they are very expensive. here are some pics of my feedhorn & a norsat model 3120 lnb (its the next model up from the 3220's I have)

Attachments

• WP_20150911_001.jpg
    WP_20150911_001.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20150911_002.jpg
    WP_20150911_002.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 18
  • WP_20150911_003.jpg
    WP_20150911_003.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_20150911_005.jpg
    WP_20150911_005.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I agree with "beavs2112", the Norsat PLL LNB's are the way to go for a quality C Band setup. I have exactly the same pair of Norsat PLL LNB's and a Chaparral dual C band feed sitting here awaiting a future project.

Just a quick question to "beavs2112", did you consider using an inline power inserter such as a PICO MACOM unit to get the 18v required for the Norsat LNB's ?

Attachments

• Norsat LNB's.jpg
    Norsat LNB's.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Chaparral C Band Dual Feed 01.jpg
    Chaparral C Band Dual Feed 01.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Chaparral C Band Dual Feed 02.jpg
    Chaparral C Band Dual Feed 02.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PICO MACOM.jpg
    PICO MACOM.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks Kevin/Dave, what sort of money are we talking for this setup ?, i have around £500 sat doing nothing atm, will i have enough/do i need to keep saving ?, also is this setup suitable for the prime focus dish please,

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Martin,

You will get change from a monkey (£500).

The setup is intended for a prime focus dish, the Chaparral C band scalar ring has multiple fixing points around the periphery to allow connection to various feed arm types found on prime focus dishes

There are several options for Chaparral feeds, they do a combined C band/Ku band feed with a polarotor for a prime focus dish. I have one of these that will be in the classifieds at some point once I have completed testing. However, there seems to be a view that if it is only C band required from a dish then a dual C band feed is the way to go. I think one of the bands is compromised slightly using the C/Ku combi feed, cant remember which one though, perhaps "beavs2112" can add some info on this point?

You can also get a Chaparral single port C band feed with a polarotor that allows reception of both H and V polarities in C band from a single LNB. Again, I have one of these that will be in the classifieds at some point once I have completed testing.

You can insert a dielectric plate into the throat of the Chaparral feeds to allow reception of Circular polarities. Normally, the Chaparral feeds are shipped without the dielectric plate, or the ones I have here were.

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks for the information Dave, what's this talk on losing some C band frequencies in the near future, how long will it be before this is in place ? if i have read it correctly ?, i don't want to be spending £4/500 on something to last 12 months.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for the information Dave, what's this talk on losing some C band frequencies in the near future, how long will it be before this is in place ? if i have read it correctly ?, i don't want to be spending £4/500 on something to last 12 months.

The mobile phone operators want to snaffle part of the C band spectrum for mobile broadband and other such guff that they want to use it for. The satellite operators are not happy about it so it could develop into a drawn out process before it is resolved.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

Martin,

You could go the much cheaper C band route with a Titanium C1W-PLL or Titanium C2W-PLL LNBF, these cost around £30 for the single output (C1W) version and are available from eBay or Amazon. They come with the scalar ring for a prime focus dish and other forum members report good results with them. That saves on the cost of the Chaparral feed and the Norsat LNB's.

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
Just a quick question to "beavs2112", did you consider using an inline power inserter such as a PICO MACOM unit to get the 18v required for the Norsat LNB's ?
Hi moonbase :) Yes I originally had one of those on my 3m dish. The power inserter is a good commercial grade product. Just a friendly reminder that you will probably need a switch (22k or diseq) to select which lnb output to connect to your receiver.
I am now using a WNC SWA-48 (WNC =W-NeWeb Corp) multiswitch that I internally modified to provide 18V on the 13v vertical lnb input. Credit for this idea to modify them goes to Pendragon :) Its basically an older model DirectTV 4x8 switch. The WNC SWA-48 uses some discrete components (as opposed to surface mount devices) so its easy for my old shaky hands to solder to the circuit board :) Also the back plate comes off easily to gain access. Also the WNC model MS4x8WB-WNC multiswitch can be substituted if available. Just a couple of notes of caution for someone thinking to use these SWA-48 switches. Their current rating is 750ma so that is about 2 norsat lnbs worth of current. Using 4 lnbs like in a combo c-ku setup will probably draw too much current and cause overheating and premature unit failure. Also beware of buying units on ebay that DONT come with power supplies. The power supplies (commonly called wall-warts here in north America) are for 120vac north American mains.
If available a Zinwell switch model WB68 can be used but they do not use discrete components so the modification is much harder. Links for the topics at the sat guys-usa forum (warning if you don't have an account be prepared for a lot of ads) are here:
SWA-48 mod
Naughty Mods II: 4x8 Switch with All 18V outputs
WB68 mod
Naughty Mods III: 6x8 Switch with Power Insertion

Attachments

• WP_20150912_001.jpg
    WP_20150912_001.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 11
  • WNC SWA-48 Mod.jpg
    WNC SWA-48 Mod.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Martin,

You could go the much cheaper C band route with a Titanium C1W-PLL or Titanium C2W-PLL LNBF, these cost around £30 for the single output (C1W) version and are available from eBay or Amazon. They come with the scalar ring for a prime focus dish and other forum members report good results with them. That saves on the cost of the Chaparral feed and the Norsat LNB's.

I have 3 new ones atm Dave, but ive come this far and going all the way, i want my setup spick and span with quality stuff :).

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
There are several options for Chaparral feeds, they do a combined C band/Ku band feed with a polarotor for a prime focus dish. However, there seems to be a view that if it is only C band required from a dish then a dual C band feed is the way to go. I think one of the bands is compromised slightly using the C/Ku combi feed, cant remember which one though, perhaps "beavs2112" can add some info on this point?
I prefer a dual cband feed feedhorn with 2 lnbs. The reason is my dish is 6 feet above my roof. The chaparral polarotor requires wiring to control the polarity motor and if that fails its a PITA to fix. many years ago the polarotor was the only option. but if the polarity motor or one of its wiring connections fails you might get only one polarity or worse none at all. a dual cband feedhorn requires no such wiring. The dual cband is more expensive since you need another lnb & rg6 cable but its more reliable.
As far as the c and ku band losses I think it varies depending on who you talk to. some people swear by the polarotor, some people swear by the lnbf, some people swear by the orthomode feedhorns.
Also another factor that is very important that often gets overlooked is matching the feedhorn to the dish. I prefer to use the feedhorn that the manufacturer of the dish specifies to use.