Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You would think a couple of the ground crew could have assisted regards alignment one in front and one at right angles, oh I forgot they were hiding, such bravery, such camaraderie! par for the course I suppose

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
You would think a couple of the ground crew could have assisted regards alignment one in front and one at right angles, oh I forgot they were hiding, such bravery, such camaraderie! par for the course I suppose
If anything goes wrong during a manoevre like that, he's too low to eject. They (and he) must have been very, very confident that it was going to work.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Have to appreciate and respect skills like this. I see this on Air Crash Investigation program as well from time to time...like landing a jumbo jet that runs out of fuel at 35000 feet

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Air transat.
lol, seen that one also.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk Pro

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Many years ago I did the RN Advanced Firefighting Course: The "Aircraft Crash On Deck" exercise was truly frightening.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Kudos to that pilot, one slip of the controls and it could have been far worse, and as for the crew taking cover, they needed to, if the thing crashed onto the deck, having jet engine parts flying about along with fuel and fire, yeah, I'd be hiding behind a bulkhead door too... o_O

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Kudos to that pilot, one slip of the controls and it could have been far worse, and as for the crew taking cover, they needed to, if the thing crashed onto the deck, having jet engine parts flying about along with fuel and fire, yeah, I'd be hiding behind a bulkhead door too... o_O

Sorry I cannot agree with you, there would be much less chance of pilot error leading to an accident if ground crew did assist, in this case they struck lucky and the pilot despite guessing where the curved cradle was, managed somehow to land it. Pilots are trained to do vertical take off and landings on board a carrier and routinely perform these manoeuvres but with nose gear, so it was unlikely to be something new for the aircrew.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
From memory, I saw a better one, on Air Crash Investigation, where an air crew had to land a plane, with very little working. Mainly they used the engines power, to bank, slow down, etc..
This was a large plane, carrying parcels, a similar event happened to a passenger plane, and they failed to control it, resulting in a lot of deaths, although quite a few survived, including the expert attempting the flying, as the plane broke apart, on landing.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
If anything goes wrong during a manoevre like that, he's too low to eject. They (and he) must have been very, very confident that it was going to work.
Not strictly true on a Harrier really, i've seen ejections from a harrier on the ground and the height attained easily opens the parachute and the pilot survives.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Not strictly true on a Harrier really, i've seen ejections from a harrier on the ground and the height attained easily opens the parachute and the pilot survives.
I saw them at airshows a few times in the 80s and early 90s - they are impressive aircraft. But the best thing that I ever saw at an airshow was the Vulcan :) (think I saw it at Abingdon a few times).

A

archive10

Vulcans are impressive. But by far the most brutal fly-by I have seen at an airshow is the B-1.
Think it was a Farnborough about 10 years ago.
That thing is not designed for acoustic stealth, the noise was absolutely amazing!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Sorry I cannot agree with you, there would be much less chance of pilot error leading to an accident if ground crew did assist

Given that this was aboard an aircraft carrier, they probably had the tower talking to him aswell, so would have had assistance from the crew watching from above the deck, rather than having crew on the deck risking death if something went wrong, this is the military after all (even if it's the US AF/Navy), they're trained to do that sort of thing in an emergency... :)

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Looking forward to seeing the vulcan at RAF Waddington this Saturday.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Looking forward to seeing the vulcan at RAF Waddington this Saturday.
In this part of the world I see very, very little in the way of military aircraft. I've seen Mirage 2000s *twice* in the 10 years I've been living here and nothing else. I grew up in Oxfordshire: I saw all sorts of things (British and US) when I was there. My school was even on the flightpath for the London flypast for the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
About the only time one should squat down on somebody else's stool

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
In this part of the world I see very, very little in the way of military aircraft. I've seen Mirage 2000s *twice* in the 10 years I've been living here and nothing else.

I think this part of Normandy is designated a 'low fly, rattles your windows with a sonic boom' area. Often see Mirage 2000's (based at Tours I think), a low flying two engine prop driven aircraft (either transport or for para's) and the other day two low flying Chinooks......

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
a similar event happened to a passenger plane, and they failed to control it, resulting in a lot of deaths, although quite a few survived, including the expert attempting the flying, as the plane broke apart, on landing.
United Airlines Flight 232

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Went to a Spanish base a few months ago where they were celebrating the retirement of Mirages and replacement with Eurofighters. The performance of the Eurofighters made the Mirages look pretty pedestrian.