Pre set channels on the passion+HD

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Is it possible to change the presets to the region that I live in as opposed to London BBC/ITV channels that are currently stored and is it possible to store and save favourite channels in a numerical sequence in stead of scrolling down numerous channels to find the one I want or do I have to write every channel number down on a peice of paper for future reference when I want to change channels....:-danger
Tony

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
Yes and yes

Do a full scan of 28.2E (where the Freesat channels are). Look through the channel list, towards the end of the list you will find the other BBC and ITV regional channels. Just move them to the new position e.g BBC1 <region> to 1 ITV <region> to 3 and so on. Put the old preset channels at the end of the list.

It is a bit fiddly getting the channel list set up how you want it, but once done, save it to a usb memory stick and enjoy.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
thecaretaker said:
Yes and yes

Do a full scan of 28.2E (where the Freesat channels are). Look through the channel list, towards the end of the list you will find the other BBC and ITV regional channels. Just move them to the new position e.g BBC1 <region> to 1 ITV <region> to 3 and so on. Put the old preset channels at the end of the list.

It is a bit fiddly getting the channel list set up how you want it, but once done, save it to a usb memory stick and enjoy.

Thanks for the info I will attempt this when I have a hour or two to spare LOL,I was hoping that it might have been a little easier but nothing nowadays is,it's just that I remember the old Amstrad sky boxes where they gave you the option of doing that,and although it's not Freeview again where the channel list is in order,I hoped the box makers might have given an easier channel changing option than the one it as....:-danger
Tony

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
Is it possible to change the presets to the region that I live in as opposed to London BBC/ITV channels that are currently stored and is it possible to store and save favourite channels in a numerical sequence in stead of scrolling down numerous channels to find the one I want or do I have to write every channel number down on a peice of paper for future reference when I want to change channels....:-danger
Tony

You can select and move channels to the top of the list, but I think the latest s/w allows you to select your UK region on initial setup which moves those channels to the list start.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
icarusi said:
You can select and move channels to the top of the list, but I think the latest s/w allows you to select your UK region on initial setup which moves those channels to the list start.
:-doh! Yes I did initially do that but when I upated the software to the latest one 1.04 and did a factory reset THEY reverted back to what I have now,Is there a way of going back to initial set up and sorting it that way,every time I select factory reset I cannot see an option that allows me to do that....:-danger
Tony

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
I've not used it yet but I downloaded from the Fortec site what I presumed was a program for editing the Channel lists on a PC and then loading that into the STB. Editing on the PC should be easier than move and swapping via the remote.

Allan

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes, setedit is a tidier way of sorting channel lists. You can save your original and updated lists in setedit's root file for comparison etc.

Llew

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
:-doh! Yes I did initially do that but when I upated the software to the latest one 1.04 and did a factory reset THEY reverted back to what I have now,Is there a way of going back to initial set up and sorting it that way,every time I select factory reset I cannot see an option that allows me to do that....:-danger
Tony

Did you use 'channel backup' and 'channel recovery' options in the channel edit>factory setting? Alternatively you can save your current channel settings to USB in channel edit>s/w transfer>channel data transfer. Probably best to make a copy of your preferred channel data file in case you accidentally overwrite it like I did.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
icarusi said:
Did you use 'channel backup' and 'channel recovery' options in the channel edit>factory setting? Alternatively you can save your current channel settings to USB in channel edit>s/w transfer>channel data transfer. Probably best to make a copy of your preferred channel data file in case you accidentally overwrite it like I did.
:mad: As a novice to satellite TV I read the instruction book when I first got the system up and running and I'm sure it does not tell you to save channels at any stage of set up.it's only when I started to read posts on forums to gain a little more knowledge and sitting down and going through the book that I should have done this/that or the other.I was hoping that with most things electrical and with a built in memory I could have gone back to the stage when I first plugged it in and went through the stages of install to correct any mistakes I may have done,but no I have just made a list of the regional stations and view them that way....:-danger
Tony

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
I was hoping that with most things electrical and with a built in memory I could have gone back to the stage when I first plugged it in and went through the stages of install to correct any mistakes I may have done,but no I have just made a list of the regional stations and view them that way....:-danger
Tony
I must admit my Sony PVR gets automatic firmware upgrades over the air, ditto with new stations and idents and keeps my choice of station order. OTOH you won't get a multisat HD reciever which records to USB drives for Passion+ price (Maplins) and they were fairly prompt with the (non-standard) ITV HD uprade, so I can live with the other foibles so far, although the 'rumour' that the original Passion would do what the Passion+ does was big let down.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
:-righton Well after much reading of the manual and f**ing and blinding I have with the help of the Move option got my channel list looking something like I want,many thanks for the input from the people taking time to suggest methods to help,my next question is that when say a news item goes from the studio and plays a clip from an outside broadcast the picture goes from widescreen to 4:3ratio till it returns back to the studio as any one had this an if so have you managed to rectify,....:-danger
Tony

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
I think you will find it is how the channel broadcasts the news. Studio pictures are in widescreen but news items (outside broadcasts) are still in 4:3 but not all. Some outside filming is in widescreen.

I don't think it is anything to do with your Passion unless you find all 4:3 channels are showing narrow. If that was the case, then you would need to change the ratio in the settings setup. If it's just news, that is normal.

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
my next question is that when say a news item goes from the studio and plays a clip from an outside broadcast the picture goes from widescreen to 4:3ratio till it returns back to the studio as any one had this an if so have you managed to rectify,....:-danger
Tony

Autoswitching between 4:3 to 16:9 and back needs to be signalled by the broadcaster, set up on the sat receiver and on the TV. If any of the 3 aren't set correctly the aspect ratio remains at one setting or can switch to the wrong a/r. My Samsung Series 6 TV is OK through the scart but not through the HDMI. AFAIK Sony TV do autoswitch via HDMI.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
icarusi said:
Autoswitching between 4:3 to 16:9 and back needs to be signalled by the broadcaster, set up on the sat receiver and on the TV. If any of the 3 aren't set correctly the aspect ratio remains at one setting or can switch to the wrong a/r. My Samsung Series 6 TV is OK through the scart but not through the HDMI. AFAIK Sony TV do autoswitch via HDMI.
:) I've set both TV and Reciever to auto mode,but you raise an interesting point about broadcasters of that I have no control over,I am running with HDMI(after all whats the point of having an Hi Def tv(Panasonic) and not using it to its full potential,I dont know enough to say what this tv is capable of,if I have 2 out of the 3 in sync then that leaves Broadcasters as the possible culprit,or maybe I need to set both tv and reciever to 16,9 and not auto I will have to play around and see what happens,but I'm more than impressed with the system , I just need to get used to the operation and settings....:-dangerTony

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
I don't think they expected anything other than 16:9 to be used with HDMI and the broadcasters would make a 16:9 mask of any 4:3 or 14:9 content, which some do.

Scart switching is by one of the scart pins or a signal in a picture line for scart and broadcast, but I haven't seen anything specified for HDMI. The obvious thing would be to use the same picture line as SD scart and broadcast, but I haven't seen anything written about it. Some 16:9 TV sets have no HDMI aspect ratio control at all. Some display 16:9 content in a 16:10 ratio (computer w/s format), circles show as elipses.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
icarusi said:
I don't think they expected anything other than 16:9 to be used with HDMI and the broadcasters would make a 16:9 mask of any 4:3 or 14:9 content, which some do.

Scart switching is by one of the scart pins or a signal in a picture line for scart and broadcast, but I haven't seen anything specified for HDMI. The obvious thing would be to use the same picture line as SD scart and broadcast, but I haven't seen anything written about it. Some 16:9 TV sets have no HDMI aspect ratio control at all. Some display 16:9 content in a 16:10 ratio (computer w/s format), circles show as elipses.
That would /could explain a lot.it's just annoying when it happens I can live with it now I understand a little more why it happens,and usually its news programmes it happens on mostly,any other time and it's perfect,Thanks for the explanation of how things work and your input to a Noobie....:-dangerTony

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
That would /could explain a lot.it's just annoying when it happens I can live with it now I understand a little more why it happens,and usually its news programmes it happens on mostly,any other time and it's perfect,Thanks for the explanation of how things work and your input to a Noobie....:-dangerTony

I was changing settings on my P+ and set the scart output to RGB forgetting that the P or P+ can't have HDMI and scart RGB together for some reason. The only way I could reset it was to plug the scart in. While I was scart connected I moved through the channels on 28.2E and only found one which wasn't autoswitching correctly, so the broadcasters at 28.2E are definitely transmitting auto a/r data. Whether the P or P+ outputs that data via HDMI can only be verified by someone owning a TV which uses HDMI a/r autoswitching.

I posted this last query on the HDTVTest forum.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
icarusi said:
I was changing settings on my P+ and set the scart output to RGB forgetting that the P or P+ can't have HDMI and scart RGB together for some reason. The only way I could reset it was to plug the scart in. While I was scart connected I moved through the channels on 28.2E and only found one which wasn't autoswitching correctly, so the broadcasters at 28.2E are definitely transmitting auto a/r data. Whether the P or P+ outputs that data via HDMI can only be verified by someone owning a TV which uses HDMI a/r autoswitching.

I posted this last query on the HDTVTest forum.

O-zzzI took notice of your post and quickly dispatched a email to Panasonic Technical with the points you raised,and after 3 days I'm still waiting on a reply....:-danger
Tony

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
tjl said:
O-zzzI took notice of your post and quickly dispatched a email to Panasonic Technical with the points you raised,and after 3 days I'm still waiting on a reply....:-danger
Tony

:confused Well at last I had a reply re autoswitching from Panasonic Tech and it looks as though it's a broadcasters thing(if we believe everything that Techno people say)this is the reply

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, I would explain that the LXD60 will auto aspect switch provided the source is sending the correct control voltage via SCART pin 8. All HDMI signals are generally sent as 16:9 aspect since HDMI is designed to be only a 16:9 connection format.

In this case it appears one of the satellite channels was not signalling the sat box to change pin 8 status, i.e. possibly no WSS signal being received. Please note this WSS flag is set by the broadcaster.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by either emailing us at customer.care@panasonic.co.uk, by fax on 01344 853213, or by telephoning our Customer Care Centre on 0844 844 3852.

Kind Regards
Anthony Clarke
Administrator
Dealer Support / Correspondence Team
Panasonic UK Ltd

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
All HDMI signals are generally sent as 16:9 aspect since HDMI is designed to be only a 16:9 connection format.

I was querying this at a local Sony Centre and a local Richer Sounds. The guy at Sony thought all their TVs autoswitch and the Richersounds guy thought Sony and Panasonic did but Samsung and LG don't. I can confirm my Series 6 Samsung doesn't, the option is greyed in the menu, but the Sony seems to have a 'smart' option in the menu whilst an HDMI signal is present. Whether that would auto switch and by what means is unclear. Sony don't have any Freesat stbs or integrated TVs yet, so until I see a demo Freesat HD box with either make I won't be able to say for certain.