Product recommendation (non satellite)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Some of you may know that I live in an old French farm house and altogether it's a delightful abode, though heating it during the winter was always a problem.

There has been a log burning stove in here since the first winter we occupied the house. When I purchased my Rayburn for the kitchen, I also replaced the log burner with a newer model. The log burner and Rayburn are my sole form of heating and the ground floor is 225 cubic metres. The first floor is similar in volume though does have radiators supplied by the Rayburn.

Last year I began reading about stove top fans. They received good reviews in the main and I decided to purchase this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caframo-Eco...UTF8&qid=1416213890&sr=8-6&keywords=stove+fan

Based on the principle of a Stirling heat exchange engine (I think) the fan uses the energy stored in it's heat sink to convert to electricity and thus power the fan. I was very sceptical to say the least. However, it did seem to make a difference in that the warm air was more evenly distributed. I say this with the caveat that miracles should not be expected as some of the negative reviewers have assumed.

This year I've moved my fan onto the top of the Rayburn (which usually 'stays in' all night) and I'm now starting my third week without lighting the log burner. The temperature in the lounge drops to just below 19C during the night and rises to 20C + during the day and evening. There are no detectable 'cold spots'. I'm in no doubt that the log burner will have to fired up before too long but I'm grateful for the saving in logs that I've made thus far. I'm also thinking of getting a second fan to go back on the log burner, though I may try a cheaper (Far Eastern made) one. If you have a log burner or range cooker it's well worth considering purchasing one...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Was thinking of getting one for my sister in France, nice to hear a positive report.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Actually, just looked at a photo of the stove and not sure whether it'll fit in the gap.

Attachments

• PC268615.jpg
    PC268615.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 40

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Not quite the Stirling engine effect, it's using a Peltier heatpump to generate electricity to turn the fan, just remember to not place it on too hot a part of the stove or you'll burn out the peltier... :)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Not quite the Stirling engine effect, it's using a Peltier heatpump to generate electricity to turn the fan, just remember to not place it on too hot a part of the stove or you'll burn out the peltier... :)

Yes, I remember now..always did get my Stirling's and Peltiers mixed up. The instructions do warn you not to put it on a really hot part of the stove, which is probably why they also tell you not to put it in front of the flue...

Actually, just looked at a photo of the stove and not sure whether it'll fit in the gap.

Difficult to tell the size of that opening. It's a design of stove I've never seen before. Here's a photo of the fan with a hardback book for size comparison :

Fan photo.JPG

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
Hi Sonnetpete, I haven't been on the link yet but I will do as it sounds interesting. We had a big open fire which we used to have bonfires in but the heat output was dismal, so a few years ago I installed a built in log burner complete with ducting to the upstairs which is fan driven. What a difference. No doubt you are the same as us half metre thick solid stone walls so not too thermally sound. Ok once they are heated up but always a heat sink. We do also have radiators upstairs and underfloor heating ground floor. As we are all solar with no connections to any external services this works quite well. We can normally keep it in winter at approx 20-21c and considering we have had it minus 20c outside thats not too bad!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Bim : Not sure which Amazon would be easiest/cheapest for you if you decided to buy one. They are available in other places on the 'net. For sure getting one from the UK was cheaper for me than from France even allowing for carriage from the UK.

There was only an open fire here when we arrived and I installed a 'cheap' logburner which lasted 8+ years and got through 3 grates and an ash pan. Yes, the walls are up to 50cm thick, though I was told they keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Probably turning the ground floor into open plan wasn't a good idea but then the heat from the kitchen couldn't waft it's way through the rest of the house.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I was wondering when someone would mention that... :-rofl2

The Seebeck effect is correct, but until I saw something on EEVBlog about it, I'd never even heard of it, it was all Peltier this, Peltier that, and technically it's a TEG, or Thermo Electric Generator, but that's getting a bit on the pedantic side...:-rofl2