quality difference of 3m dish and a 2.7m dish with extensions to 3.2

Lykle

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet, am in the process of deciding what I need. Will be a 3m dish and a Dreambox I think.
Lenovo Laptop
My Location
Cyprus
Hello all,

I am trying to decide what to do here in Cyprus to receive BBC and ITV.
Use a 3m Alu dish or go for a 2.7m dish that is extended to 3.2m with the bolt on panels (extensions).

Which one gives a better signal reception? I'd always go for bigger is better, but I understand that the net result of extensions is negative due to distortion of reflection etc.

As you can guess, it is two shops against each other, both claiming far superior results.

I know that where I am a 3m is marginal and to be sure of good reception I should use a 4.2 but I just don't have the cash or the space for that.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lykle

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
look for "Andersen 3.80" you wont be dissapointed ..cheers

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, this is a hard thing to figure out but you need to see what other friends are doing close by and copy them.
if they are using a 3.8 dish and a type of lnb and type of receiver and geting 24/7 you should do the same.
the astra 2 d there is different on the in cypress.
you may wind up buying a 3.2 meter and not get the bbc like you want and you will be stuck and can not take it back.
short cable run ,good low loss cable,good lnb , and a 3.8 meter will probaly work but check with others who have a good working system.
ralph

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
ps
we tried a irte 4 meter prime with a ivacom lnb and no way it didn't work here in naples italy
ralph:-ohcrap

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
ralphmagno said:
ps
we tried a irte 4 meter prime with a ivacom lnb and no way it didn't work here in naples italy
ralph:-ohcrap

do you have the picture of the Irte dish?? i know the 2.40 petalized one ..and i didnt like it at all

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
my son has a picture will try to find it and post it tomorrow.
irte is a 2 half section prime and we uesd a ivacom quarro it took months to compleate.
welding the base as well as cement work
ralph
my friend had to stand inside the dish to mount the lnb.
ralph