RAC phone number is not mobile friendly

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I found this out at 7.30 this morning when the exhaust fell off my car :-lol, I got on the internet from my phone and found another number that said it was mobile friendly that did not work :(,

So I ended up laid under the car and tied the exhaust up and got soaking wet in the process so I could make my journey home, a great start to the day :rolleyes:, don't get caught out like I did :).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I have read that OFCOM are very keen on getting the mobile phone companies to not charge for 0800 and other freecall numbers. I think that some contracts may already do this.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
TBH paul I think its a joke they should at least put a mobile friendly number on there card,

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
We had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago when we were in France. My wife wanted to talk to the Ancestry people about her subscription but they only publish an 0800 number. They were unable to supply a geographic number for the UK office so I suggested they look to see if there was a suitable number for the US head office.

I then had to wait until they were awake in the US to talk to them. The were very obliging but weren't able to access the records. What they were able to give me though was a geographic number for the UK office! What a palaver...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Always something Paul, the things you don't want you get 10 calls a day :mad::-lol, I've been to 3 garages to get it fixed and no one can do it until Monday, I look like getting wet again fixing it:rolleyes:.

It turns out the rubber has broke and the clip is more/less none existent :eek:.
DSCN6611.JPG

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
You'd think this was common knowledge by now:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Lists geographical & freephone numbers for all kinds of companies and public services that use numbers that aren't mobile-friendly... :)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Always something Paul, the things you don't want you get 10 calls a day :mad::-lol, I've been to 3 garages to get it fixed and no one can do it until Monday, I look like getting wet again fixing it:rolleyes:.

It turns out the rubber has broke and the clip is more/less none existent :eek:.
View attachment 70093

Will that fit a Channel Master polar mount Martin??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

View attachment 70093

No advisory from the recent MoT?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I guess its was not common knowledge to me to carry an extra number with me are I would have, I joined the RAC for piece of mind in case my car breaks down I did not realise I had to walk to a phone box to call them,

I probably could make it fit somewhere Pete :).

No advisory G, but the exhaust was not blowing until this morning when it fell off, also it would be a bit extreme going round looking at brackets like this, cars have loads of similar brackets in various places :eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
You can ring 0800 numbers for free on 3 mobile :D

Only on new contracts, ones existing before they introduced that you still have to pay for 0800 calls....

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
It's free to call 0800 and 0500 on Giffgaff too

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

A nonymous

Reaction score
Mine isn't contract, its PAYG :D

I swapped to 3 from Giff Gaff when they capped the £12 bundle to 3GB plus the fact that their 3G coverage was terrible. Most of the time my phone was on 2G.

I use my phone a lot with Netflix. I don't make a huge amount of calls or send a lot of texts, once GiffGaff capped the limit to 3gb combined with the crap coverage going to 3 made much better sense.

Nano

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I would have continued to drive the rest of the way with the broken exhaust. I wouldn't consider climbing under the car to look/bodge/fix, especially when it's raining.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I've read a report earlier on the BBC app that the RAC, 111 and 101 numbers (all run by Vodafone) went down at some point for a number of hours but everything was working again by 13:00

the RAC said it couldn't receive calls between 4am and 12:30pm

apparently they sent their vans out to the busiest areas to help any motorist they found in difficulty

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I've read a report earlier on the BBC app that the RAC, 111 and 101 numbers (all run by Vodafone) went down at some point for a number of hours but everything was working again by 13:00

the RAC said it couldn't receive calls between 4am and 12:30pm

apparently they sent their vans out to the busiest areas to help any motorist they found in difficulty

That's it smoggy, I've just dialled the number out of curiosity and its ringing now :-dohthe first time the car breaks down and bl**dy phones down, the car is mended now £4.48p and two lots of washing :D

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I would have continued to drive the rest of the way with the broken exhaust. I wouldn't consider climbing under the car to look/bodge/fix, especially when it's raining.

I did think about that CH, then i thought how much catalytic converter was and decided to get wet :).

Blo*dy sky box has packed up now :rolleyes: well that's my 3 cooker car sky box, wife wont be pleased when she returns from work, i will have to tune 28E in for her then go to pub out of her way :D.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
well that's my 3 cooker car sky box, wife wont be pleased when she returns from work, i will have to tune 28E in for her then go to pub out of her way

You can get Sky on your cooker?.....presumably that's only the Food Network....