Receivers With Functionality To Clear SD & HD 4.2.2 Transmissions

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

Are there any receivers with the functionality to clear SD and HD 4.2.2 transmissions apart from the AZBox? I have a Quali but it is only good for SD 4.2.2 and not HD 4.2.2

Regards
moonbase

Bovril

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1m dish
Protek 9750
Quali TV Box
My Location
East Lancs
moonbase said:
Hi,

Are there any receivers with the functionality to clear SD and HD 4.2.2 transmissions apart from the AZBox? I have a Quali but it is only good for SD 4.2.2 and not HD 4.2.2

Regards
moonbase

I made the same mistake bought one for £50 off ebay, the Quali Box does 4:2:2 but it will only show Qpsk and not 8psk.

The only receiver is the AZBox but a PC Card is also an option if you want to go down that line.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Moonbase, I don't watch much 4:2:2, but when I do all I do is plug the laptop in the TV. It is very simple. Stream from your Linux box (I use the Vu+) to the laptop across the LAN. Run VLC in full screen mode and send the output to the TV over an HDMI cable. Obviously it's not quite the same using a dedicated receiver, but this way I didn't have to buy any additional kit.

Bovril

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1m dish
Protek 9750
Quali TV Box
My Location
East Lancs
Huevos, do you still rate your Vantage box as a great blind scan receiver?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Bovril said:
Huevos, do you still rate your Vantage box as a great blind scan receiver?
It's good for DVB-S, 4:2:0 feeds, but there is a lot more stuff in DVB-S2 these days. Also it would be nice to have some control over the symbol rates being scanned.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
Moonbase, I don't watch much 4:2:2, but when I do all I do is plug the laptop in the TV. It is very simple. Stream from your Linux box (I use the Vu+) to the laptop across the LAN. Run VLC in full screen mode and send the output to the TV over an HDMI cable. Obviously it's not quite the same using a dedicated receiver, but this way I didn't have to buy any additional kit.

I use vlc player with my SD Dreambox 7020 - its a nice trick to be able to get 4:2:2, and I can also just about run DVB-S mpeg4 HD transmissions through it as well. The quality isnt very good - about 2fps!! but its good enough to get screencaps for the forum.

Bovril

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 1.1m dish
Protek 9750
Quali TV Box
My Location
East Lancs
Huevos said:
It's good for DVB-S, 4:2:0 feeds, but there is a lot more stuff in DVB-S2 these days. Also it would be nice to have some control over the symbol rates being scanned.

The Dr HD F15/F16 boxes have been mentioned for their blind scan abilities as they use a spectrum analyser but i can't justify buying one at over £200 just for the blind scan feature alone.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
I use vlc player with my SD Dreambox 7020 - its a nice trick to be able to get 4:2:2, and I can also just about run DVB-S mpeg4 HD transmissions through it as well. The quality isnt very good - about 2fps!! but its good enough to get screencaps for the forum.
I'm confused. Do you mean VLC player running on the Dreambox itself without streaming it to a PC?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
I'm confused. Do you mean VLC player running on the Dreambox itself without streaming it to a PC?

Sorry - badly worded - its streamed across my lan to the pc.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Sorry - badly worded - its streamed across my lan to the pc.
Ok. I was just confused because there is VLC player on my Vu+ for viewing stuff streamed from the PC to the Vu+. For 4:2:2 I do the same as you (using my laptop) but use the main TV as the computer display (via HDMI cable between the laptop and TV).

BTW, why are you getting such a poor frame rate on MPEG4? Is the stream going across a WiFi network somewhere? Or is it because the Dreambox doesn't have the processing power?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I suspect its just the lack or processing power on the 7020 - it was never designed for the bit rates used in the mpeg4 DVB-S transmissions.

Doesnt bother me anyway, Im not particularly interested in the HD transmissions apart from screencapping them for the forum.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Im not particularly interested in the HD transmissions apart from screencapping them for the forum.
I wasn't really bothered either. I got the Vu after the lightning strike wiped out my other main box.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Not many people seem to own Head Medialink ML9700 . Again, no blindscan but it has a Sigma smp8655 chip as apposed to Azbox's smp8634 so it should be able to clear 4:2:2, don't you think? At €139 it might be worth a try:

Code:
http://www.digital-sat-online.de/product_info.php?products_id=1092

(Other threads:
http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=166756
http://www.hdfreaks.cc/index.php?page=Board&boardID=319 )

Compared to Azbox it has much less support, ie no E2. Would I be better off buying a Chinese Azbox clone?

I've also considered some media players with Sigma chips. SageTV (discontinued?), Popcorn Hour, WD TV Live. The last one actually supports an USB tuner bit it's DVB-t only.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
At €139 it might be worth a try
For that money I'd go for a TM Single (or similar Broadcom powered receiver) and stream to a laptop (and HDMI back to the television set if necessary). That way you get a proper E2 receiver with plenty of third party support.

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish 45E - 30W, Clarke-Tech ET9000
My Location
Poland
Hello Huevos,
I am trying to do the same using 2.1.3 VLC. Unfortunately, the picture on the computer is far from perfect - during fast scenes or zoom-ins I can see picture is, hmmmm, jerky. By this I mean that frames are missing. Also, I can quite often see jagged edges (interlacing?).
Is there any setting in VLC that will eliminate the two defects before I connect my HDMI from computer to TV?

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Hi,

Regards
moonbase

Simple answer to your question is No!

We have been lucky over the last decade with the TM1000 Super series Blind Scan opened up a whole new world of Feed Hunting with loads of receivers following with Blind Scan eventually 4:2:2 DVB-S2 arrived with the AZBox Premium HD+ The End.

QPSK and 8PSK have been around & well supported for a while now,
With the arrival of 16APSK & 32 APSK modulation about 8 years ago only professional equipment supports this standard combined with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video codec in 4:2:2,

A lot of feeds have now adopted these transmission types so it is no longer possible to watch these feed transmission types with the stand alone satellite receiver,

I had a couple of years good use out of the Quali Box combined the the TM1500CI Super + was an excellent Feed Hunting tool,

With the arrival of HD MPEG-4 & DVB-S2 the TM6900HD Super+ used with the AZBox Elite HD was one of the best set ups for HD & SD Feed Hunting,

But sadly with more modulation types now in use the Enthusiast has been left behind as the market switches to the do all £99 boxes aimed a just watching DTH broadcasts with You Tube & PVR,

I have written to several companies about various aspects of current transmission types now in use such as Multi-Stream transmissions with no commercially avaiable satellite receiver available for us to view these only a few bother to reply,

There is always hope as the stb get more sophisticated & smaller that a chip to resolve these transmission types maybe just around the corner.:) as is H.265 :-biglaugh

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Robinson, sounds like bandwidth trouble. Just to be sure connect stb and pc to the network using network cables, not WiFi.

Robinson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish 45E - 30W, Clarke-Tech ET9000
My Location
Poland
Robinson, sounds like bandwidth trouble. Just to be sure connect stb and pc to the network using network cables, not WiFi.
No, it is not bandwidth. I am using network cables, not wi-fi.
If bandwidth is too low, the result is different: the picture freezes and returns, freezes and returns and it continues like that.
Here, there is no freezing. It looks like at least half of the frames are missing. I get this problem even on 10 Mbit/s bitrates for 4:2:2 whereas I do not have any problem with 4:2:0 even if it is 20 Mbit/s.
I suspect some codec issues (Windows 7) or a setting in VLC.
I might try PotPlayer in the evening.
Unless you or someone else has another advice.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Simple answer to your question is No!

Actually, I posted that question nearly three years ago so you are a bit out of date Wiliam and also you are incorrect in stating "No".

Since then I have come across several receivers that will do the job such as the TT1290 or the RX1282 and some of the ATEME receivers.

Sure they are commercial receivers and not consumer level receivers but they do the job just fine and some of them are available on auctions sites at quite a reduction from the original value.

The only thing with these commercial receivers is that they are not so easy to use compared to a normal high street consumer level receiver but they are available and they do work