Newbie Here Sky (?) LNB identification

Pastychomper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky dish with GeoSync universal LNB connected to a Sharp 50BJ2KE
My Location
North Highlands
Hi all
Can anyone tell me what kind of LNB this is please?
20220831_193645.jpg
20220831_193714.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if I'd have to replace it to use a non-Sky TV for Freesat.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
It's a Sky Q wideband LNB. Unless you get a Freesat 4K box you'll need to swap it for a Sky mk4 quad LNB.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
yes - it wont work with traditional sat boxes will it..? i.e an octagon SF8008 or a GTMEDIA combo?

Pastychomper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Highlands
Thanks. My TV reported strong signals for Astra 2E and found about 280 channels, but I could only watch a few of them and they didn't match the listings I could find. Is replacing the LNB an easy enough job for a bloke on a ladder? I know which end of a screwdriver to hold :)

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
one of the easiest jobs to do when it comes to Sat hobby - a screw or two - remove f-connector - swap out for universal LNB - screw back together, and rotate lnb for max signal

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
With a wideband Sky Q LNB unencrypted channels above 11360MHz should work on any receiver (with local oscillator set to 10410 to display correct frequency), though each cable only provides one polarisation (horizontal or vertical). If you get a new LNB which includes the bracket it should be fairly simple to swap.

Pastychomper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Highlands
Thanks, I've ordered a new LNB.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
With a wideband Sky Q LNB unencrypted channels above 11360MHz should work on any receiver (with local oscillator set to 10410 to display correct frequency), though each cable only provides one polarisation (horizontal or vertical). If you get a new LNB which includes the bracket it should be fairly simple to swap.
Would it need a new bracket ? Isn't it 40mm standard collar ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Ah, it is for normal universal LNBs. But for $ky dishes you need to order a specific $ky minidish LNB. Hope this is in time to check which type is ordered and change the order if need be.

Basically you slide the old LNB off the arm and slide the new one on. Take note of how much the old LNB is twisted on its bracket and try to adjust your new LNB to the same position. You may have to remove a screw or push in a plastic clip to release the LNB from the arm.

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Would it need a new bracket ? Isn't it 40mm standard collar ?
It's better to buy one with a bracket as some Sky LNBs are 40mm and some are 38mm (IIRC). The feed horn should also be different to match the non-flat dish design although a standard universal LNB still works well enough - the difference was under 0.5dB when I last tested it.

Pastychomper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Highlands
I went for a cheap generic one with quick delivery, so will find out in a few days. It comes with a bracket that's supposed to fit a Mk4 dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you got a listing picture of the one you ordered? If it is a Sky LNB, then you can simply undo the single screw on the clamp and lift the wideband unit out, leave cionnected at this stage, take note of the skew angle, probably about 7 o'clock and put the new one in. Then detach the cables from the old one and attach to the quad. Removing the slide bracket can be a pain and not normally necessary.

Pastychomper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Highlands
Many thanks for the advice everyone, the LNB arrived at the weekend and I finally got the ladder out last night. It went on without a hitch and works beautifully.

The one I got was slightly bigger than the original (I didn't measure but it looked likely to be 40 vs 38mm) but the old bracket wasn't too hard to prise off. It came with a drawn map showing approximate skew angles for Astra 2 so I followed that and got 100% signal, 90% quality according to the receiver.

I did wonder for a while why none of the free kids' channels seemed to work... that's what I get for trying it out at 11pm. :-doh

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Many thanks for the advice everyone, the LNB arrived at the weekend and I finally got the ladder out last night. It went on without a hitch and works beautifully.

The one I got was slightly bigger than the original (I didn't measure but it looked likely to be 40 vs 38mm) but the old bracket wasn't too hard to prise off. It came with a drawn map showing approximate skew angles for Astra 2 so I followed that and got 100% signal, 90% quality according to the receiver.

I did wonder for a while why none of the free kids' channels seemed to work... that's what I get for trying it out at 11pm. :-doh
Same for BBC3 and BBC4 before 7pm