Sky Splitter Problems

simonutd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
My Location
UK
Well my problem is as the Title says,

I have a single coax coming in for sky, and I have now got sky HD, which means I need two cables, so I looked on the internet and this is what I found

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...ers/Philex-Satellite-Splitter-Six-Way-9686737

I know, B and Q are a rip off and not great quality, but it was late and open so I went and got one,

Well the problem is it don't work, if I attach one coax to the splitter it works, but at a much reduced signal strength, if I attach both, then I get nothing at all, myself I think its problem 1 or more of the below,

1) its broke
2) I don't know what im doing
3) I not wired it right, but how hard can it be with 1 input and 6 out puts
4) I don't know what im doing

I would be grateful for any help, and if I you can recommend a better item then that would be fantastic,

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There really is no substitute for replacing the LNB with one capable of supplying a dedicated feed to each tuner: That way, every tuner can operate both High/Low Band and V/H Polarisation independently of any other tuners, giving you full viewing and recording facilities.

Splitters are pretty pointless as not only do they restrict you to being able to use only one tuner at a time (in order to avoid 13/18v and 22KHz Switching conflicts) but they are passive so every load you add to them diminishes the available signal.

Bin it (I'm sure B&Q will refund you if you tell them the simple truth "It doesn't work"!) and fit a Quad LNB and further cabling.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It won't work properly I'm afraid. B&Q just about skirt the law in my opinion by saying in the small print-

However, because the LNB is controlled by the receiver, only one receiver should be used at any one time. See Quad or Twin LNBs to use two or more receivers simultaneously.

With a twin input receiver you have two tuners and so you need a multi-output LNB.

Return the splitter for a refund as it doesn't, and will not, work properly.

simonutd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
My Location
UK
Thanks for the quick replies, I think I might just buy a new dish and LNB, as my dish was on the house when I bought it years ago and it looks like its been a bit bashed, lol,

Any recommendation on what dish and lnb to buy and where is best to get them,

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you are only interesting in Sky stuff, then go onto eBay and buy a Zone 2 Dish pack with fittings, Quad LNB etc.

Even a Zone 1 dish might do, now that the signal is huge right across the UK with the introduction of new craft recently.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Set up the receiver for single tuner operation until you get a solution.

simonutd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
My Location
UK
So it doesn't really matter what make I go for or model , there all as good as each other

simonutd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
My Location
UK
i dont know how you do this for a living,

I went to screwfix to get a dish and lnb, took me hours to line it up, i got all the details from uksatalitehelp, and nothing, i even had a satelight finder, felt liek giving up till i slipped off the gate i was balencing off and it turns out they shouldnt put a spirit level on a dish cause i twisted slightly while falling and all is fantastic, nealry full everything.

ok maybe i done it wrong, but i can watch the F1 at 3am ,

if i have done something wrong let me know, i love learning stuff, and where i goen wrong, helps out with the future,

Thanks one and all

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Hi Simon, its a bit like riding a bike ,once you've tried for a few satellites and picked them up it becomes quite easy. A few weeks down the line and you'll wonder why you couldnt find them! Of course some satellite signals are far weaker over here and become more of a challenge but thats the fun of the hobby for me, i recently picked up signals from 31.5E for the first time. I get 2 channels , but it was the sense of achievement really.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
i dont know how you do this for a living,

I went to screwfix to get a dish and lnb, took me hours to line it up, i got all the details from uksatalitehelp, and nothing, i even had a satelight finder, felt liek giving up till i slipped off the gate i was balencing off and it turns out they shouldnt put a spirit level on a dish cause i twisted slightly while falling and all is fantastic, nealry full everything.

ok maybe i done it wrong, but i can watch the F1 at 3am ,

if i have done something wrong let me know, i love learning stuff, and where i goen wrong, helps out with the future,

Thanks one and all

Good to hear you have a signal :) Once you have set up a few times it does get much easier - honest :D

Chasing down new satellites / new signals is half the fun for me - Im using undersized dishes (9 of them!) for many of the signals here. so Im really pushing things to the limit