Advice Needed SNR % Help for Setanta and Premier Sports 28E needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
First I am going to try and see if I can get a better figure for 12633 with the ultra on the current 28e. 0 is 19E for me at the moment.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
I think you are confusing dish skew (which is designed to follow the satellite arc) with skew on the individual LNB's. Don't move the dish yet, put your working Smart LNB back on and try peaking it up by adjusting that particular LNB's skew.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
the 19e is smart twin and the 26e is a smart gold single gettting good figures from them

The 28e was a smart gold twin and I replaced (well in the process) this witht he ultra black quad.

But really odd readings for it to lose the 12633.

My first fix would be to hook it up to the small tv underneath and move and fix mms at a time to get best figures from the lnb.

I have 2 spare slots at the moment so as I check the s9hd, i can at the same time read the vu uno readings.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
I think you are confusing dish skew (which is designed to follow the satellite arc) with skew on the individual LNB's. Don't move the dish yet, put your working Smart LNB back on and try peaking it up by adjusting that particular LNB's skew.

Yip will do that first and note the position of the smart then once I check those figures - should I then try the ultra again in the same position and see what happens?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
after snr, db 16.2, ber 0, agc 79ish - only slight improvement on the agc

I am advocate for getting rid of AGC/strength readings on ALL receivers. This means absolutely nothing with regards to signal QUALITY and many people mistake using this instead of SNR. You can have a signal "strength" of a 100% (% of what?) but if it's all noise then you might as well not be receiving anything.

Basically ... ignore this reading.

Anyway... Very odd that this single TP is so low. Could it be a damaged/kinked cable which would only be affecting this frequency? Also, it could be that you are getting TOO much signal and the receiver can't handle it?

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/what-the-ok-this-is-stupid.154208/

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
even if I dont look at the agc's the snrs for the 12633 or the premier and setanta channels for me are real low.

Wired are all fine and and work since all the other channels show good snrs all the way to 100% snr forthe strongest tp's etc.

over signal - cant really comment on that - as i am unsure about that subject

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I think that's unlikely CJ, as it's on the low side here compared with say BBC1 HD which I'm getting at 62 SNR/60 AGC. (I agree about the strength readings being misleading). He could always drape a damp cloth over the feedhorn to knock an overload down but I really don't think it's that.

Edit : Additional thought, we could do with someone doing a comparison test on that TP using a dedicated Astra2 dish...

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
i will see if I can dig up my old sky dish, which has been lying around somewhere in the garden. i can put it on my flower pot, like I did last time. And get it to work on the smart gold. Then see what that gets. After that try it against the ultra!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
OK but don't forget that you won't get optimal results on a "Sky" dish with a generic LNB as it was designed for use with specific ones supplied with the dishes.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
OK but don't forget that you won't get optimal results on a "Sky" dish with a generic LNB as it was designed for use with specific ones supplied with the dishes.

Got one of those lying next to it on the garden floor too! Totally forgot about that crappy dish and lnb!

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
right guys, I put the dish on a flower pot and moved it around a few times and managed to pick up 75-85% figures on snr for the premier, setanta sports and ireland.

Looking closely I found this on the sky dish - OH was using the smart gold twin - as the sky lnb was soaking!

all 3 channels were showing 12582 - 21999 on the S9HD!

I am not going to get a table and bump the tv and s9 on it and get up the ladder and see what the ultra gets.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
ok update,got the table out, tv and s9hd and 15mins later I got the ultra up. but had to move the 26 lnb!.

I am going to put pics and stuff on my main wave thread and close this thread.

The 28 thinker has altered my setup a little.

see my main wave T90 thread on the pictures setups

cheers
guys

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
ok update,got the table out, tv and s9hd and 15mins later I got the ultra up. but had to move the 26 lnb!.

I think you've got to the nub of the problem there..you've probably sacrificed the performance of 28E to get 26E and then possibly the TP you've had problems with has changed FEC making it marginal......

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Last edited by a moderator:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A bit of background on this frequency - its one of the ones that moved from Eut 28A to Astra 2F European beam last year. It should be about the same strength as the other Astra 2F European beam stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.