Sony Vaio Laptop, password login fails

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A mate of mine can't get into his laptop, password fails. Any way to solve this? Windows 7 home.

Last edited:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Is it a BIOS password or Windows password?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Windows password, he can start in safe mode, but can't do anything to start in full Windows.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Start up in Safe mode, log in as Administrator (most people forget to set a password for that), go into the Control Panel, then User accounts, and from there they can change or remove the password, assuming it's not been modified by malware... :)

If not, nuke & pave... :p

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks, have passed on the info. :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You can download password reset USB/CD images, which would reset your Administrator password to nothing.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
The latest Hirens cd would be my way in ..
there are at least 3 windows password modify/reset/delete utils on it ..
All bootable from dos ..(low level)
Assuming the lappy has a cd/dvd drive...
I even made myself a hirens-on-a-stick....for those notepads without a drive.
rgds
VS

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks all for your help, he's not technically confident and I'm not down the road from him, so has decided to take it back to where he bought it for them to fix it. :)

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
This software works a treat and is used on the Hiren's and UBCD. With full instructions.

pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Thanks all for your help, he's not technically confident and I'm not down the road from him, so has decided to take it back to where he bought it for them to fix it. :)

So PC World erases the last decade or so of yet another person's virtual life.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No I doubt it, it is an independent and they'll no doubt have the relevant utilities to complete the task without destroying his data.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Windows passwords are generally easy to reset, as you can usually gain access via safe mode, or do it on boot up, using various utilities, it's the BIOS password that takes a bit longer.
You'd have to be a complete novice, to erase his data, as you don't need to format the hard drive, or re-load Windows, even in the worse case scenario you can still access the hard drive, and retrieve all data, by fitting it to a PC as a slave.
Any shop will have it done in a few minutes.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Windows passwords are generally easy to reset, as you can usually gain access via safe mode, or do it on boot up, using various utilities, it's the BIOS password that takes a bit longer.
You'd have to be a complete novice, to erase his data, as you don't need to format the hard drive, or re-load Windows, even in the worse case scenario you can still access the hard drive, and retrieve all data, by fitting it to a PC as a slave.
Any shop will have it done in a few minutes.

The case rests !

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
There's ways to completely skip the windows password and log straight in without safe mode and leave it intact, so when you reboot it still asks for the password and no one's the wiser you've access their user account.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
There's ways to completely skip the windows password and log straight in without safe mode and leave it intact, so when you reboot it still asks for the password and no one's the wiser you've access their user account.

Yeah, but when it comes to a person who seems to not know the more advanced uses of an OS, it's best not to tell them incase they suddenly think they're a power user and start royally screwing things up and then blaming the person who suggested something to them to fix a minor issue... :)

If in doubt, call in a computer tech... :p