SORN - Continuous registration - rant

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Having spent a vast amount of time using the online service tonight in time to reregister a few vehicles as per the DVLA SORN system, I have actually given up.

If you do not own a vehicle, or are outside the UK, you will probably be unaware of the process by which the government department has made it the responsibility of the vehicle keeper to continuously notify them that you still have a vehicle, regardless of its roadworthiness or how complete it might be.

The advertising campaign makes the suggestion that 'the system is foolproof' and any vehicle falling outside the 'taxed', or 'SORNed' status is likely to attract the owner a fine, or the vehicle get crushed.

Tonight I have tried to get three motorcycles (all offroad undergoing restoration in the living room and conservatory) reSORNed using the online registration process, to comply with the regulations.
The service has timed out on five occasions, and in getting the final document acknowledgments back by email, now find the date has now been put back by one month, to end of December 2009, and not to the end of January 2010.

Anyone that has tried SORNing at the end of a year knows the options of telephoning those nice people at the DVLA/going to the Post Office/or submitting online are virtually non-existent through web maintenance.

The Renewal reminders that do get sent out by the DVLA are few and far between, but the Continuous Registration Offices send out fines the moment the SORN has expired, despite all data to the vehicle having been on their database, apparently expiring/vanishing once the year is up.

I have petitioned my local MP on this matter in the past year over an automatic fine sent out by the DVLA, on one vehicle that was bought with the intention of renovationation (it is a 1950's Triumph chassis and boxes of engine/wheel parts that will take some two years to restore if the right parts turn up on eBay or at the local autojumble), as a diect result of the system failing to send out any V5C when the ownership changed. The response so far from the DVLA has been that it is my responsibilty regardless and the 12 month re-registration system is there to help authorities and police cut crime :confused

So much for the DVLA database being foolproof. It is a licence to print money, nothing more.

Has anyone else fallen foul of the continuous registration through no fault of their own, and been successful in having a fine reversed ?

Rant over

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've not fallen foul of the system but I damn well make sure that I don't delete the email confirmation when it comes through. I have read that even when the DVLA is at fault they require us to prove it.

They basically don't care about people who are restoring cars/bikes as they just clutter uptheir nice tidy world where vehicles are either taxed or illegal.

And yes, it is a racket...