State of the Union ...

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
There is an independence movement where I live that wants to restore the historical state of Savoie (or at least the parts of it on the French side of the mountains). As far as I can tell it consists of a few disgruntled farmers. Every so often there is some militant action like painting the "national" flag somewhere (croix de Savoie) or placing thus-decorated cardboard boxes over speed cameras. The "worst" they have done is setting up their own short-lived customs post between Switzerland and Haute-Savoie.

In England I've heard mention of a Wessex independence movement but I'm not sure if it's a joke or not :)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Brittany (I'm 20 minutes drive from it's provincial border) has long since harboured a very vocal and proactive independence faction. They bombed the parliament buildings in Rennes quite a few years back, use of the Breton language (akin to Gaelic) is widespread, roadsigns and town names are displayed in both languages and the Breton flag is everywhere. I've heard and read reports that incoming Brits are not treated in a friendly way by a minority, though Parisians get a far rougher reception apparently.

Splitting away from France will never happen though as, no matter how vocal and active the minority are they will remain that, a minority. Scotland would surely stay part of the UK for more or less the same reasons.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Which country has almost all the oil and gas fields ?

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
So, if Scotland were not a member of the EU, then there would need to be border/passport/immigration controls....hope they can afford all that. Lose the right of abode in the rest of Britain and EU(technically anyway, can't see that being enforced, particularly in England)
Anyway, in this global economy what do borders matter any more? As I said, I wish them well if that's the way they want to go. Since Ireland got it's independence it is still struggling after 90 years, with only their own endeavours to blame, it's tough to leave a strong overall economy and stand alone. I know Scotland is a different case, but it won't be plain sailing for a while.
I watch with interest. They will swap being ruled by Westminster to being ruled by Brussels (if they are granted EU membership) they may not take too kindly to that. Regarding the post above from Huevos, Ireland have done just that over time...so much for nationalism.

Last edited:

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hypothetical thoughts here....as this thread....but if Scotland gets independence and controls North Sea gas and Oil, what if England decided not to buy from Scotland but deal directly, instead, with Norway (as the UK must at present to fulfill it's needs). Scotland would instantly lose it's biggest customer. It would be self sufficient certainly, but lose massive income. How does the Scottish economy look then?
I know it's highly unlikely. Britain continued to buy heavily from Ireland after independence, despite DeValera's ".....burn everything British but their coal..." statement, but it is a possibility.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The ones with enormous pipes connecting them to the mainland.UK-offshore-oil-gas-fields.gif

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
So, if Scotland were not a member of the EU, then there would need to be border/passport/immigration controls....

The whole border/passport thing is more to do with being a party to the Schengen agreement. France, along with most of mainland Europe, is a Schengen country and as such you can drive from one country to another without border or passport controls. However, the UK and Ireland aren't and if I fly into a UK airport from France, I'm still subject to showing my passport. Hypothetically, if Scotland were independent, remained in the EU and signed up to become a Schengen country there would need to be border crossing checks and passport controls at all the road crossings into England....that would be popular...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
And yet I drive across the Irish border every week, no border posts exist (unlike years ago) it's almost as if there is no border. The only distinction is the currency and the huge cost of living in the Republic, which is kept quiet.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Yes, I must admit Ireland is a bit of an anomaly. Members of the EU and use the Euro but still has passport control at it's borders to those coming from mainland Europe. The cost of living in France has climbed dramatically in the 11 years I've lived here. It's no longer the cheap place to live it once was and there is a steady exodus of Brits going back home.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Can't help feeling that the SNP leadership has an ace or two hidden up its sleeve....

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Makes interesting reading. From what I see, Scotland will not be totally independent, but pretty much going it alone in almost all respects.
The Isle of Man is a similar example where they have always self governed but have a few very loose ties to the UK, but are not inthe EU. They seem to do reasonably well on their own (I have visited many times for the TT races, love the place)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
They seem to do reasonably well on their own (I have visited many times for the TT races, love the place)
You can't be a tax haven AND a member of the EU; tantamount to having your cake AND eating it.

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You can't be a tax haven AND a member of the EU; tantamount to having your cake AND eating it.
That sounds like every elected politician in the world to me..