Streaming to Laptop

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi
Anyway to live stream say the footy direct to laptop so i don't have to send girly upstairs to watch her progs.
Richard.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
you can use a tool called VLC to stream live to your PC/laptop ... but your DB tuner will still be in use, so you wont be able to watch anything else at same time ... unless perhaps if it happens to be on the same transponder

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
topfield 5000 with hotbird and hispa using t rex cam also art card
My Location
spain
i have a full list of all site's you can stream them of can i post them on this forum i'm not sure

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
wallycharlo said:
you can use a tool called VLC to stream live to your PC/laptop ... but your DB tuner will still be in use, so you wont be able to watch anything else at same time ... unless perhaps if it happens to be on the same transponder

Downloaded the vcl but can you please explain to me how to set it up .
Richie

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
install it.

then goto your web browser and stick in the IP of your dreambox

eg

then select the channel you want to watch , and click on the VPID ... chose to open it with vlc ... should work then

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
wallycharlo said:
install it.

then goto your web browser and stick in the IP of your dreambox

eg

then select the channel you want to watch , and click on the VPID ... chose to open it with vlc ... should work then

Hi
I 've done everything ok it's just that it keeps trying to open it with nero and i'm getting nothing, any idea's.

dynamo985

Reaction score
i try to do this over wireless B at 11mbps, is this too slow to send a perfect picture because it keeps on breaking up or is there a plugin i can install to help prevent this

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I believe that wireless B is too slow based on the average required bitrate. I did the calcs once, and Wireless G was fairly-well occupied.

There are some good beginners VLC/Dreambox guides on the net. I know. I wrote one :-rofl2

If you want VLC to open automatically by clicking the .pls file link, you need to change your file associations in Windows to open with VLC and not Nero or PowerDVD or whatever it's set to currently.

STICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Oh, and I meant to say that you get differing levels of success with different images installed on the Dreambox.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
stick is correct, install a bitrate measuring plugin, and you will see that its usually > 6Mbps (unless you are looking at a package/channel with v low quality then it could be as low as 2Mbps) , 6Mbps is the limit which wireless lan protocol b can handle, it is 11 Mbps but 5 of this 11 is taken up with other things such as CRC,anti collision,etc, the maximum data throughput is 6Mbps, if you update to wireless G you will have no problems at all (data throughput > 20 Mbps).

so sorry dynamo, no plugin will help you, its a hardware limitation