System Upgrade - What To Buy?

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Digibox and zone 2 dish.

Technomate 1500ci+, 90cm motorised dish on a very thick pole!
My Location
Leeds
Hi

I`ve decided to upgrade my now little used Technomate 1500 CI+, and as I`ve been out of the satellite loop for a couple of years I would appreciate some help on what to purchase!

I used to download firmware regularly that used to allow me to get the German Premier Sports, Movies channels etc but once the technology improved to block that I basically lost real interest, hence why it doesn`t get much use now.

I`d like something that would once again allow the same, and the last time I asked in my local Satellite shop they said it is was all done by card sharing through the internet etc.

I`d really appreciate any advice on what I need to be looking at (and also any advice on how things are done now if possible!) whilst not breaking the bank!

Many thanks.

Phil

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Oh sorry, I`ve got a 90cm motorised dish that is still installed and still works perfectly, and is all ready to be plugged into my new kit!

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Card-sharing is illegal theft of pay TV and as such we (and any other reputable forum) cannot help in any way on this subject

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
There are lots of cheap, satellite receivers, capabe of running CCcam, and other software, probably one of the easiest, and cheapest, is something like the Spiderbox 6000HD.
What kind of budget were you considering?
Do you want dual tuners, with PVR, or just a basic receiver?
It might be worth contacting one of the sponsors who can help you get what you need.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
If your used to the TM1500 then i would suggest either a TM F3/5 or the 5402HDM3 both of which when suitably patched will offer quite a few surprises as well as the added function of Biss key entry for other little gems, without even the word Card & Sharing in site

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Very, very sorry about that. C*** s****** is not something I`ve every done, or knew anything about, and, as I mentioned, I was only told about it in passing by a chap in my local shop, so I didn`t realise the implications of it. I`ll edit my post if I can to remove the text.

Thank you for the help as regards suggestions though, the patch is the way I ideally wanted to go as it`s something I was used to before, and to be honesy I wasn`t comfortable with the other method as it seemed insecure and now I know also highly illegal!

I`m happy with just a basic receiver. I won`t be looking to record anything as I have a Tivo box so just record all I need from general UK cable. HD capability would be nice, but again, not essential.

I think my 1500 CI+ was about £120 when new so budget of around £150 I guess?

Thanks again.

Phil

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Had a look at the TM boxes suggested and both seem to do exactly what I want, and well within budget.

They both seem almost identical in pricing and capability though, so what gives one the edge over the other?

Cheers

Phil

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Very, very sorry about that. C*** s****** is not something I`ve every done, or knew anything about, and, as I mentioned, I was only told about it in passing by a chap in my local shop, so I didn`t realise the implications of it. I`ll edit my post if I can to remove the text.

Mod Note: Hi Phil - no real need for any Editing. Generally we prefer it if the Staff do the Moderation duties so there's a consistent approach, but nobody was around when you first Posted. We try to take a balanced approach and be gentle with people inadvertently straying into dodgy territory!

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Had a look at the TM boxes suggested and both seem to do exactly what I want, and well within budget.

They both seem almost identical in pricing and capability though, so what gives one the edge over the other?

Cheers

Phil

To be perfectly honest they are both internally identical apart from the M3 has Scart, Rear USB, and IR extender cable if you wanted to place it inside a cupboard.

Everything else Tuner sensitvity, Menu Screens etc.. are identical

A nonymous

Reaction score
Cardsharing is a very grey area indeed whether just doing within the home or over the net. We don't have a major issue talking about the concept of how it works or even what emus are available, we just won't offer any support within the setting up of CS. Should you decide to use your receiver for card sharing is upto you, you just won't get any support for it within this forum.

Cardsharing is not a swear word and there is no need to hash out the words, its just something that we will not go to deep into on this site.

The receivers you have picked are both capable recevers. There is also the X2 brand of receivers which are worth looking into also especially if you like feed hunting.

Nano

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Great advice, thank you all.

I popped into the local shop this afternoon to enquire about the TM boxes and they were trying to sell me a Starsat Hyper 2000 instead? That`s a new one on me, seemed a bit iffy and even more so when looking searching for info online.

Has anyone on here used one/come across one at all?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I have never heard of that... I always shy away from shops who try to sell you stuff that you don't necessarily need/want.

A nonymous

Reaction score
On paper it doesn't look like a bad receiver but in all honesty there looks to be little support for it so its one i would shy away from. In all honesty if the shop cannot give you what you asked for i would go elsewhere.

I cant stand going to shops that try and sell you something you didn't ask for. The second they try and push something else that i have no interest in i just leave and go elsewhere.

You can get a TM box from one of the forums sponsors.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-HD-Receivers

If you are anywhere near London you could probably buy a receiver straight from the manufacturer.

Nano

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
Thank you, exactly what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure.

TM it is then, thanks for all your help everyone.

Looking forward to getting back into it, and those times of suddenly realising it`s 3am and I`ve been flicking through 50 channels from the Balkans that I can`t even understand!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, but you'll recognise "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" whatever the language!

philh

Knowledge is power.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Leeds
TM 5402HDM3 purchased from one of your sponsors, hope that gets you a bit of revenue or however it works!