The Optimistic Spring/Summer 2014 Thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
As promised:-

midsummer bonfire burning1.jpg midsummer bonfire burning.jpg

Ålesunds ( west norway ) midsummers bonfire burning, it reached a height of 33 meters before being lit.

Regards

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
No video of the thing collapsing on the people and boats surrounding it then? :-rofl2

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Its a glorious day here,bloody hot already so ive camped under the umbrella in anticipation of a sausage sarnie on its way.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Actually gave my hobby a miss today to help my old dad with some weeding and grass repair ..
The converted lump o land behind my house is starting to bear fruit ...
literally..
Gooseberries red and green ..
Blackcurrents
Raspberries
Eating cherries ..sadly not many first crop.
Cooking cherries ..abundant
First Victoria plums ...but again can count on one hand and a long way from ready..
Rhubarb ..again a crop for next year like the eating cherries and plums..
Surprised we had so many cooking cherries as the dwarf trees only went in 12 to 18 months ago..
Also a nice tub of strawberries almost ready ..
Those blackcurrents are a labour of love to pick ..certainly labour intensive...
but the fruit we harvested over the last few days has made it all worthwhile..
rgds
VS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just realised Ive lost 5E. Sighting along the lnb arm I think the tree that knocks out anything west of 3E has wrecked 5E as well now. No 5E reception now until the leaves drop :(

Doing anything about it is not an option.

Unless I can sneak in an old minidish somewhere to give me the Ukrainians back......

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Can't you just trim it a little ?

A little hair cut won't do the tree any harm unless you poison it or something :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I just got completely soaked by a sudden vicious rainstorm - thunder, lightning, the works - coming from the hospital on my pushbike. T-shirt and slacks only. Nowhere to stop and take cover, it was on the hospital's exposed ring road.
The storm seemed to be centred only on the hospital's precinct - cycling a short distance away and to home, it's sunny and the roads dry as a bone. Just my luck.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I just got completely soaked by a sudden vicious rainstorm - thunder, lightning, the works - coming from the hospital on my pushbike. T-shirt and slacks only. Nowhere to stop and take cover, it was on the hospital's exposed ring road.
The storm seemed to be centred only on the hospital's precinct - cycling a short distance away and to home, it's sunny and the roads dry as a bone. Just my luck.
I'm just amazed the Hospital has commissioned a dedicated road where cyclists are expected to expose their rings..
??
Soaked or otherwise ..that must be quite a sight for the casual observer..
OOooo errr missus..
;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Spent most of today indoors, despite the initial nice weather (it's clouded over and gone yucky now), and I fixed the washer, replacing the spider & bearings on a washer is a tediously annoying job, but thoroughly satisfying when it's all back together and working, spent less than £40 to fix versus £300 for a brand new replacement... :D

Why buy new when you can fix it too... :D

Just for you:D

Cor, that's pretty big, and scary, I wonder how many of the tupperware boats out on the lake melted in the intense heat.... :eek:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Spent most of today indoors, despite the initial nice weather (it's clouded over and gone yucky now), and I fixed the washer, replacing the spider & bearings on a washer is a tediously annoying job, but thoroughly satisfying when it's all back together and working, spent less than £40 to fix versus £300 for a brand new replacement... :D

Why buy new when you can fix it too... :D

I honestly wish you could share your philosophy with a larger chunk of the UKs 'consumer driven' public ..
A new ASDA opened recently about 3/4 mile from my humble repair establishment..
roughly a month ago ...which coincidently is about the same time the last repair arrived on my bench..
I haven't had a wage for a month ..and bills keep a comin' ..
Seriously sick to the back teeth of the throw away society..
I honestly thought they might have learned a lesson during the recession ..but no..
the govt mention 'green shoots' ..and instantly... once again there's a rush to buy buy buy
..with money that isn't earned yet..
c'est la vie

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I honestly wish you could share your philosophy with a larger chunk of the UKs 'consumer driven' public ..

Yeah, the need to replace minor-fault goods with brand new ones is uneconomical at best, people need to be shown how much more money they could have if they followed the 4 Rs, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair, but, the nation's been conditioned to shun "old" and praise "new", and if you haven't got the latest and greatest, you're accused of being poor or old fashioned, but I don't care about labels like that, I (or rather We!!) can fix things, they can't... :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I'm just amazed the Hospital has commissioned a dedicated road where cyclists are expected to expose their rings..;)
Well at least I wasn't wearing my shorts :eek:

Addenbrookes Hospital Road. Nowhere to hide.

Addenbrookes Road.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Awful weekend here. With it being so sunny, we let our cats outside, who usually live indoors but do let them out occasionally. So on the loveliest sunny summer solstice afternoon, one our beautiful Burmese cats was involved in a road collision and passed away on the spot.

I and SWMBO are beside ourselves as it was such a lovely cat. Burmese are generally very friendly and are almost like dogs ...so we are missing him terribly :(

Just think - if it was raining, we wouldn't have let him out and he'd still be with us...

uploadfromtaptalk1403557142088.jpg

C'est la effing vie.....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Awww, sorry to hear of your loss.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry to hear about the cat, being a cat person myself I do feel over-protective of my Spud, and she's just a generic moggie who was brought up as an indoor cat who's transitioned into a semi-outdoor cat, but that's just terrible luck to have such a nice day ruined by such a tragic accident... :(

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Oh thats terrible news CJ. I dread to think what i'll be like when my moggie leaves this world.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Gutted for you mate..
I love all animals ...particularly dogs and cats ..
Swore I'd never have another after my dog Dizzy ..mother and daughter cats Gemma and Peggy ....all 3 died peacefully in old age and all 3 over 20 years with me...
But never say never as I took in 2 orphaned kittens George and Peppa ...
Brother and sister ..
So yep ..I know how the loss gets you ...and worse when they go before their time.
In all honesty ...living alone ..I often prefer the company of animals to people.
Less trouble ...less earache ...less demanding.
Again ...sorry for your loss..
rgds
VS

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
CJ, that's really sad news......

I think I've mentioned before I have five cats and here they are free to roam (well, except for Phoebe who will only go out if you open the door for her and then not if it's raining) but there is no traffic here to speak of. I can go days without seeing one or two of the cats when it's sunny and warm like today. Though usually they manage to bring in a 'takeaway' and devour it on the lounge rug. I wouldn't be without my cats...or dogs...or goats.....or the geese...well maybe not the geese LOL

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks all. I and Mrs CJ are still feeling tremendous pain following the loss. I've lost 2 other cats to cars when I was in my teens so I know the pain well and it doesn't get better. What's making it worse here is that we live in a quiet area with very few other cars so it was just the worst luck imaginable :( Hopefully, time will heal the wounds but the scars will remain forever.

He leaves behind his sister, Mo, another yowly and purry Burmese. Not sure if she's realised that Bud is missing but we are trying to keep her occupied...

I know some people are not cat lovers but I am sure most love animals and anyone who's ever lost their beloved pet will know what it's like.

Again, thanks for words of consolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.