Transferring videos to PC

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Box 7025+, Skystar2
My Location
UAE, Dubai
How can I transfer the recorded video files on the dreambox to the laptop?

DeepDiver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vista- DreamBox 7020Si Nabilo Darkstar II -7025+ Black Hole 0.11 - DM8000 BlackHole 0.11
My Location
Mariana Trench - Pacific Ocean
Gentleman_1 said:

With an FTP program, like DreamboxControlCenter, aka DCC.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Gentleman_1 said:

Yes, with FTP application.
The file extension is *.ts (Transport Stream) and you will need an application to open such files, like Nero Showtime (Player).
If you have many recorded files, DON'T select all of them at once at the FTP stage, as it will take you ages to transfer.
Select just one and see how long it takes for the transfer.

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
Ok but what is the method of connection? Is it a USB cable or null modem?, knowing that there is no 9 pin port on the laptop.

By the way, is there a way to use an external HD in the USB port of the DB I tried to put a flash memory but nothing happened.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Gentleman_1 said:
Ok but what is the method of connection? Is it a USB cable or null modem?, knowing that there is no 9 pin port on the laptop.

By the way, is there a way to use an external HD in the USB port of the DB I tried to put a flash memory but nothing happened.

Neither. Use the Ethernet connectors and a suitable LAN cable on both sides.
Regarding the USB stick, it should work, presumably for recording?
See this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox7000/139114-recording-usb-flash-stick.html

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
HB13DISH said:
Neither. Use the Ethernet connectors and a suitable LAN cable on both sides.
Regarding the USB stick, it should work, presumably for recording?
See this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox7000/139114-recording-usb-flash-stick.html

Do you have a practical guide for the LAN connection? The LAN port on the laptop is taken by the internet connection. The LAN port on the box is used for internet sharing. So it looks I am out of ports?

The thread you provided talks about an image installed on the box to allow it to select the destination of recording. I only have CC Cam installed and couldnt find any options for such recording. Do I have to install such an image and how?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Gentleman_1 said:
Do you have a practical guide for the LAN connection? The LAN port on the laptop is taken by the internet connection. The LAN port on the box is used for internet sharing. So it looks I am out of ports?

The thread you provided talks about an image installed on the box to allow it to select the destination of recording. I only have CC Cam installed and couldnt find any options for such recording. Do I have to install such an image and how?

You should really use a router.
Otherwise disconnect the cables and make a direct connection between the laptop and the box, then use FTP to copy the files to laptop.
You can live without the internet or the CS for the time it takes to do the copying.
I use Gemini image to do the recording.
You should read the Idiot Guide for more info.

siggikr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7025 1.25 dish on Astra 28°E and thor 0.8 W
My Location
Iceland
Hi. just to add a little to this.
I´ve had my dreambox for a few years now, and it´s a great box.
The best program to connect and edit your dreambox is probably the Dreambox Control Center. It´s an all round program for ftp,terminal and more good stuff.

If you have connected your dreambox to the router, and the laptop computer is also connected to the router, all you have to do is put your dreambox IP and your router ip ( usually same ip as your laptop gateway ) into the ( DCC ) connection window, your dreambox username ( root ) and your dreambox passwd ( if you haven´t changed it, it should be dreambox ) and choose Connect.
To see your dreambox IP you just go to network setting in the menu.
You can also watch your recorded videos from your dreambox with your laptop via VLC Mediaplayer ( I do it all the time even with a wireless connection ), works great.
Hope this helps.

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
Thanks

Yes it may be a great box but it seems to be a stupid company. Now my box has a break down for hardware failure. I found out it has to be sent to Germany for warranty repair, ONLY in Germany. It is broken since 1 month and I dont know when it will be returned to me. This is really terrible.

By the way, I had a CC Cam installed on it - by a local shop- just before the breakdown. It worked for a while and then stopped. Could this CC Cam cause it to break?

Also, My local DSL connection requires log in by a username and password. Does the CC Cam allow entering log in info or I have to use a router?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Gentleman_1 said:
Thanks

Yes it may be a great box but it seems to be a stupid company. Now my box has a break down for hardware failure. I found out it has to be sent to Germany for warranty repair, ONLY in Germany. It is broken since 1 month and I dont know when it will be returned to me. This is really terrible.

By the way, I had a CC Cam installed on it - by a local shop- just before the breakdown. It worked for a while and then stopped. Could this CC Cam cause it to break?

Also, My local DSL connection requires log in by a username and password. Does the CC Cam allow entering log in info or I have to use a router?

Yes, it is a big problem for us living in the Middle East when we need a hardware repair. The shipment cost is too high and you don't know when you will need to send the box again.
My Dreambox 7000S had a shutdown problem few months ago, but I didn't want to waste money on shipment so it is on the shelf at the moment. You know what, I don't even miss it.
Regarding the CC cam install, I don't think it has anything to do with the failure.
Did you use any subscription card in the card reader and CC cam or without the card?

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
No I didnt use any card with it.

I am thinking what is the alternative to dreambox? It seems to be the only one that has all those features:
-Recording ability
-Double tuners
-Can accept a cc cam for sharing.

I couldnt find any alternative. Can you?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Gentleman_1 said:
No I didnt use any card with it.

I am thinking what is the alternative to dreambox? It seems to be the only one that has all those features:
-Recording ability
-Double tuners
-Can accept a cc cam for sharing.

I couldnt find any alternative. Can you?

Personally I wouldn't insist on a double tuner, and would prefer two separate receivers, so that I would still have one working box in case one of them doesn't work for any reason.
In the case of a double tuner receiver, if it becomes faulty (as in your case with the 7025), I would have nothing.
So, a 2x Dreambox 600pvr with HDD would be good enough for me.
But if you must have double tuner, then you might want to take a look at the QBOX section.