Trick or treat

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Have you had any yet ? we always buy a big bag of sweets for any kids that knock, we have had one visit up to now :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Fortunately living a mile and a half out of the town is far enough to deter all the kids and we havent had any grubby little tykes demanding sweeties with menaces in all the time we have lived here :).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There have been a load of kids outside, but most of them skip us, as next door have really pushed the boat out with props of trick coffins and tombstones. Most of them are very young and in large gangs, but parent supervised. Guess I'll be eating sweeties for the next month.:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We've only had them one year in the ten we've lived here, but nevertheless SWMBO gets a bag of sweets - always taking care to ensure they are the sort I like.

Jelly Tots, in case you were wondering!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Fortunately living a mile and a half out of the town is far enough to deter all the kids

Me too....and the village population is barely 250....and the roads are unlit......and my drive is 130 metres long.....and I have two dogs....not exactly welcoming am I??

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
A bit early on this side of the pond but we usually run out after 7pm and 300-400 kiddies.

A

archive10

We had about 10-15 so far.

But I've been out with my kids too (parent supervision is a good thing), and we did only about 12-15 houses.
Then they considered the loot so far, and opted for going home and eat it... 8)

But that's fine with me, this is the first year we do it, and a nice and easy start is essential.

(In Denmark we have this thing, where the kids only get candy on Fridays, and have it with an hour of Disney cartoons on the main PSB channel - and today is Friday, and they hoarded loads of candy, so it all Works out well...).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
It's only just coming to Finland. I saw a few Kids down the road earlier on but none have come here. A few years ago it was virtually unknown to trick or treat at Halloween. It's more traditional for children dressed as witches to give brightly coloured sticks in exchange for sweets on Palm Sunday.

A

archive10

It's more traditional for children dressed as witches to give brightly coloured sticks in exchange for sweets on Palm Sunday.
I struggle with the cultural idioms and historical actions that's resulted in that tradition... :)

A

archive10

But I suppose it's reflecting the very nature of the culture that honed the traditions.

When summer arrives, the swedes build an elaborate pole-cum-ring contraptions ("May Pole") decorated with leaves and flowers, and dance around it singing to welcome the summer. (A boring interpretation of "Pole Dancing" as a concept)

In Denmark, we set fire to a pile of sticks and get drunk.

(Well, to be fair, the Swedes also get drunk, but that's a general tradition practiced year round, and not specifically connected to the pole dancing bit...)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
On this night I always close the curtains lock, the doors and windows, turn out all the lights and make like mushroom ...
If I had to buy sweets for grubby little tykes in masks ....they would be humbugs..
miserable old sod or what..
:D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Fortunately most Halloweens for us are spent in France. We're two miles from the village, there are only five dwellings here and the roads are completely unlit. Perfect!

I blame the film ET for the jump in "popularity" of trick-or-treat. Prior to that it was known about over here by a few people but that was all.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I've seen a few kids around here with there parents but not masses of kids out.

I haven't noticed if any have knocked as I've been greasing up some bearings on my bike in shed, it was creaking on my way home tonight.

I'm not fussed for it now I'm older but it was funny years ago scaring people as a kid.

Might have a test ride to local Chinese takeaway will see if any are still out.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
... I've been greasing up some bearings on my bike in shed...
Sounds like a euphemism if ever I heard one!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
We usually get a fair few but still only the one, I have just popped out to pick a few beers up and the local pub car park is full of kids and parents, well plenty of sweats for me and the wife and grandkids:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Gosh these Jelly Tots are enticing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
How to put the tykes off
We usually get a fair few but still only the one, I have just popped out to pick a few beers up and the local pub car park is full of kids and parents, well plenty of sweats for me and the wife and grandkids:)

Plenty of sweats???

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Last time I was down at my mum & dads at Halloween I answered the door to a knock, the kids said trick or treat - so I said trick & sprayed them with a water pistol.

Then said "oh sorry did I misunderstand the idea?"

And thast was the last caller of the evening :-rofl2