Uk TV in Gambia

malsat

Reaction score
Hi

Anyone know if UK TV is achievable in Gambia ?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Don't discount it entirely. People are receiving Astra 2s in the Canaries and Fuerteventura and those are way outside the normal footprint. As long as there is no frequency reuse on West Africa beam, there's always a chance, however small, with a huge dish.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
In theory, if you were a serving member of the UK armed forces you could receive the BFBS transponder on the West Hemi C-Band NSS12 at 57 East and use an appropriate Irdeto decoder. However if you're not in the said armed forces (or are a major exception for civilian purposes e.g. the residents of Tristan Da Chuna) then you won't get anywhere on that front.

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xtrend ET10000 DVB-C, DVB-S2, and IPTV
Dreambox DM920 DVB-C/DVB-S2X/DVB-T2
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
80 cm fixed dish (28.2E/23.5E/19.2E)
180cm Channel Master offset dish with polarmount (39E-34.5W, Ku-band)
My Location
The Netherlands
And it depends on the definition of "UK TV".

You can watch BBC News and Sky News in the StarSat package.
There are some UK channels in the Dish TV package on 36E: BBC Lifestyle, BBC Brit, BBC News, Sky News.

But I guess that's not what TS meant with "UK TV".

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Indeed - Im guessing the question refers to the BBC ITV etc

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Indeed - Im guessing the question refers to the BBC ITV etc
Which means a somewhat large terrestrial antenna

There has been some movement to bring the Commonwealth back into the fold following the disaster of Ted Heath in the 70's. A local skirmish that could be resolved before the next general election.

Politics aside, the next party in power in this country could add a FTV TV service for English speaking nations now ties with mainland Europe have been severed.

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
My Location
The Netherlands
In theory, if you were a serving member of the UK armed forces you could receive the BFBS transponder on the West Hemi C-Band NSS12 at 57 East and use an appropriate Irdeto decoder. However if you're not in the said armed forces (or are a major exception for civilian purposes e.g. the residents of Tristan Da Chuna) then you won't get anywhere on that front.
How big is that dish on Tristan Da Cunha?

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
apart from Kabelio I saw a new solution in Spain after the Intelsat switch-off, especially for buildings and communities, IPTV Transmoduation to RF signals, the guys from tdtprofesional in Malaga have a good blog about the Product called "DAVINCI", they claim this solution can give you access to UK or other channels anywhere in the world! maybe this could help you

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
How big is that dish on Tristan Da Cunha?

Not sure, if I was to guess I'd reckon somewhere in the 3 metre range given TDC lies outside the C Band Western Hemi beam in the south Atlantic, the use of DVB-S2 QPSK with an FEC of just 2/3 would also help with reception I'd imagine.

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
My Location
The Netherlands
Not sure, if I was to guess I'd reckon somewhere in the 3 metre range given TDC lies outside the C Band Western Hemi beam in the south Atlantic, the use of DVB-S2 QPSK with an FEC of just 2/3 would also help with reception I'd imagine.
Yes, my thought too when I was looking for the satellites and their footprints where BFBS is broadcasting.
You'd wonder why the UK never bothered to supply at least the BBC to the Overseas Territories, like France is doing with their overseas departments and regions.
Interested by this I read a story about the history of television on St. Helena and it seemed that the people over there rather watch South African services and CNN instead of BBC WS...so maybe that's a reason.