Vinasat 1

dasChaos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Just starting out. Only got Sky (HD+) so far...
My Location
London, UK
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone tried on perhaps knows if it is possible to receive Vinsat 1 in the UK? It's a relatively new and small satellite so there is nothing on the web about it.

If I go onto Lyng Sat and check the
Code:
http://www.lyngsat.com/vina1.html
it say "Below Horizon" does that mean it is definitely not possible to receive it?

I found this 185cm dish at Maplins which I thought could perhaps do the trick. The satellite sends on Beam C and KU, which this dish is designed for. Judging by the description, not that I know what I am talking about... :-ohcrap

Thank you very much for any advice!

Marco

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You have no chance of receiving that satellite in London, as lyngsat states the satellite, 132E, is below the Horizon which means you can't even see it due to the curvature of the earth.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Hi,

Welcome to the forum Marco. You have absolutely no, repeat no, chance of receiving Vinasat in the UK. From London it is 32° below the horizon.

If you are still thinking of that large dish, be aware that UK planning laws restrict dish size to 1M maximum and that reports posted on here would suggest that those particular dishes are flimsy and of poor quality construction.

Pete

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Vinasat 1 is beaming into Vietnam and there is no chance whatsoever of getting it in Europe.

Dont buy the Maplin dish - they have the structural rigidity of wet tissue paper and perform very badly for their size!

dasChaos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Just starting out. Only got Sky (HD+) so far...
My Location
London, UK
Thanks a lot guys for your quick responds! I wasn't sure how far a beam can spread. I was only going to get big dish if it was possible to receive Vinsat with it, but as it's stands I'll just get connected to Hotbird 8, which broadcasts VTV4, one of the channels from Vinsat.

Just quickly, while I am here... can anyone recommend an online store that sells good quality dishes and receivers or are the smaller ones at maplins ok? I hope it's to ask this in this thread...

Thanks a lot,
Marco