weak signal on english tv channels in S france.

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
110cm dish, digital decoder Visionic slim 3. (french)LNB Technomate 0.1db Universal...'rain protected by black bucket!
My Location
France 50miles east of Toulouse ,nr Revel .southern france +
English in France !!Prior to the changes to 28.2E Sat ? reception was good ,we are 1hr east of Toulouse in France in the Tarn region ,using 80cm dish,Visionic slim 3 digital receiver,LNB technomate TM1. Now the signal intensity 100%, signal quality Now is around 55/65% on a good day !! drops out in the rain !,checked dish settings/alignment many times,roof/wall mounted, solid !
Q.what size dish increase would overcome this ,Dish prices over 80cm seem to run away with themselves ,is there really a big difference between brands,any suggestions please
I will ground mount the new dish for ease of checking ,I set all of this up in 2009 with the help/advise of your Web site & menbers :tivu./low profile,...Again many thanks for help in Anticipation.......Hayley ..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hello Hayley, have a look at the map linked to in my signature - its the dish sizes reported by members of a couple of forums. Unfortunately we didnt get many reports from east of Toulouse :( However it will give you an idea.

We have noted a sharp signal drop-off on these new satellites, and whilst the science is not exact you should find something around 1.2m will give you a good improvement.No end of rebroadcast via iptv services have sprung up so if your broadband is fast enough you could investigate that option.

Southern France is in a much better position than southern Spain/Portugal where they get no signal on 4m dishes!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Quite a bit further west than you near Orange my 85cm (measured horizontally, not vertically) dish is no longer up to the job. The SD channels are OK until it starts raining and anything more than mild rain will cause them to disappear. The HD channels, which you don't mention so I assume that your receiver can't get them, are even more flaky and need just the merest sniff of bad weather to pixelate.

The solution, as AS says, is a larger dish. I have a 1m dish which I was going to fit over the summer hols (but didn't manage to) and this, I hope, will give me sufficient rain margin. Your SD experience sounds very similar to mine so a 1m to 1.2m dish should be fine.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive added a marker for near Albi to the map for your experiences with the 80cm dish Hayley

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
110cm dish, digital decoder Visionic slim 3. (french)LNB Technomate 0.1db Universal...'rain protected by black bucket!
My Location
Hello Hayley, have a look at the map linked to in my signature - its the dish sizes reported by members of a couple of forums. Unfortunately we didnt get many reports from east of Toulouse :( However it will give you an idea.

We have noted a sharp signal drop-off on these new satellites, and whilst the science is not exact you should find something around 1.2m will give you a good improvement.No end of rebroadcast via iptv services have sprung up so if your broadband is fast enough you could investigate that option.

Southern France is in a much better position than southern Spain/Portugal where they get no signal on 4m dishes!
Thank you So Much !! the map is positive ! The 2x locations that are shown are in valley/hilly locations , we are in a better situation being on the plain 4km from the Black mountain range!! we have retuned the receiver to the sat ! with marginal better results , when the new sat dish comes along & fitted i will post results & give you our position /results for the Map ........Do you have any suggestions for the sat dish ?? as a good make/value item/strong fittings /where to buy from ?? ideally in France due to postage charges ...i have scoured the web & Switzerland due to exchange rates looks good ................many many thanks again ..Hayley

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not so much a question of hills & valleys, but more size of dish, performance of the lnb & even sensitivity of the receiver for the received signal strength at your location.

A well performing lnb may improve things a bit on your existing dish, although going up a couple of dish sizes will do wonders for your reception.

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Quite a bit further west than you near Orange my 85cm (measured horizontally, not vertically) dish is no longer up to the job. The SD channels are OK until it starts raining and anything more than mild rain will cause them to disappear. The HD channels, which you don't mention so I assume that your receiver can't get them, are even more flaky and need just the merest sniff of bad weather to pixelate.

The solution, as AS says, is a larger dish. I have a 1m dish which I was going to fit over the summer hols (but didn't manage to) and this, I hope, will give me sufficient rain margin. Your SD experience sounds very similar to mine so a 1m to 1.2m dish should be fine.
Thank you !! we are both in a similar situation, i feel that the suggestion for a 1.2 mt dish will future proof us ? if we get something in HD its a bonus ? to be honest !! French TV is Awful !we do not watch ! so Sd is fine for us on bbc 1/2/c4 etc etc .
thanks for your input ..Hayley

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Try :

http://www.2galli.fr/boutique/liste_rayons.cfm

A Gibertini 1M with an Inverto Black Ultra LNB may be enough to cure your problems though if you have any doubts you can go to a Laminas 1.2M dish with the same LNB. I bought that dish from the above supplier whose prices and carriage costs are pretty reasonable. (If I recommend him many more times on here, I'm going to start asking for discounts....)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thank you !! we are both in a similar situation, i feel that the suggestion for a 1.2 mt dish will future proof us ? if we get something in HD its a bonus ? to be honest !! French TV is Awful !we do not watch ! so Sd is fine for us on bbc 1/2/c4 etc etc .
thanks for your input ..Hayley

There are never any guarantees about future proofing.

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Its not so much a question of hills & valleys, but more size of dish, performance of the lnb & even sensitivity of the receiver for the received signal strength at your location.

A well performing lnb may improve things a bit on your existing dish, although going up a couple of dish sizes will do wonders for your reception.
Again thanks ..i will keep you posted ..the technomate lnb mod TM-1that we fitted to the existing dish improved things...over the old lnb ...So we shall see what improves with the new dish ?..Hayley

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Try :

http://www.2galli.fr/boutique/liste_rayons.cfm

A Gibertini 1M with an Inverto Black Ultra LNB may be enough to cure your problems though if you have any doubts you can go to a Laminas 1.2M dish with the same LNB. I bought that dish from the above supplier whose prices and carriage costs are pretty reasonable. (If I recommend him many more times on here, I'm going to start asking for discounts....)
many thanks ..we were on the web site yesterday !! now i have a guidance we shall look again ..& again ..Hayley

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
That's the spirit Havley, I only joined for a little bit of info when I had a problem. Now I go on this site each day there is always something to learn and the members have a great sence of humour.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
Wiltshire UK and Bandol, France
English in France !!Prior to the changes to 28.2E Sat ? reception was good ,we are 1hr east of Toulouse in France in the Tarn region ,using 80cm dish,Visionic slim 3 digital receiver,LNB technomate TM1. Now the signal intensity 100%, signal quality Now is around 55/65% on a good day !! drops out in the rain !,checked dish settings/alignment many times,roof/wall mounted, solid !
Q.what size dish increase would overcome this ,Dish prices over 80cm ses ,is there really a big difference between brands,any suggestions please
I will ground mount the new dish for ease of checking ,I set all of this up in 2009 with the help/advise of your Web site & menbers :tivu./low profile,...Again many thanks for help in Anticipation.......Hayley ..
That's the spirit Havley, I only joined for a little bit of info when I had a problem. Now I go on this site each day there is always something to learn and the members have a great sence of humour.
Just chiming in here - I seldom post but lurk a lot. I am in the Var west of Toulon. I only have an old standard definition Echostar receiver, but earlier this year I upgraded the dish to a 1m Gibertini 100xp with an Inverto single black ultra. SD channels on Astra 2 are all strong. I've since added the Gibby multifeed bracket and two more lnb's for Astra 1 and Hotbird. Obtained them from Hi-Sat in Germany, ordered online. Gibertini kit is well built. Hope this helps.

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just chiming in here - I seldom post but lurk a lot. I am in the Var west of Toulon. I only have an old standard definition Echostar receiver, but earlier this year I upgraded the dish to a 1m Gibertini 100xp with an Inverto single black ultra. SD channels on Astra 2 are all strong. I've since added the Gibby multifeed bracket and two more lnb's for Astra 1 and Hotbird. Obtained them from Hi-Sat in Germany, ordered online. Gibertini kit is well built. Hope this helps.
Thank you ! that's the sort of info we need ,again we will search the web in Germany as well ...Hayley

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes!! not enough hours in our day for much browsing though ..H

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
Wiltshire UK and Bandol, France
Thank you ! that's the sort of info we need ,again we will search the web in Germany as well ...Hayley
Correction - the dish and multifeed arm were both obtained from HM-Sat in Germany, and for clarification I selected the Gibertini XP series dish

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Having searched for1.2m dishes ,ther are steel - aluminium/f-glass we cannot afford f/glass ! what is better to get steel or aluminium, it will be ground mounted , we do live in a windy region with winds this year of up to 90km, saying that we feel that steel is better over aluminium....final query!! are the dimensions required taken as vertical or horizontal ..as seen in other posts its confusing for us !!...thank you all again ..Hayley

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Aluminium any time... as it's lighter and rust proof. It might be more prone to deformations but it's not something I worry about.

Measurements are/should be taken horizontally, unless you live in Spain.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Measurements are/should be taken horizontally, unless you live in Spain.

At siesta time, aren't all measurements taken horizontally?.....