weak signal on english tv channels in S france.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
Wiltshire UK and Bandol, France
Hello peapod1..So the lnb HAS to SEE see the entire dish all the way to the rim.Yes ?
if so The full cover type that Clown Man suggested ?at the right price is a good way to go !!...many thanks again ..hayley

Yes, but the commercial version looks a bit of an overkill, and judging from the image it looks as though the cover itself would block some of the satellite signal from reaching the dish - which rather defeats the object.

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
Or, a used 33cl bottle of water from Super U, a pair of scissors and voila....

View attachment 69932
Do these really make a difference, I always thought it was the signal not being able to pass through the falling rain or being deflected by the drops of rain (mirror affect) before it gets to the dish. But if people say it works I will give it a go(any comments).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Do these really make a difference, I always thought it was the signal not being able to pass through the falling rain or being deflected by the drops of rain (mirror affect) before it gets to the dish. But if people say it works I will give it a go(any comments).
Most of the rain fade is from the moisture in the air but a part of the problem is also rain drops on the LNB's feedhorn. I've found some LNBs seem more sensitive to this problem than others (the 23mm type seem worse). Then of course in some places when it snows often there is the build up of snow sitting on the LNB arm in front of the LNB blocking the signal too.

Clown man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28,2 & 19,2 on Gibby 150cm ..2x Opticum Premium LNB's....Opticum 5x12 Multiswitch....Humax Freesat HDR's custom FW ...Pioneer Kuro & Panasonic Viera W60 Plasma tv's
My Location
Munich.....Germany......
A LNB rainhood will help .....if you are right on the edge of reception in poor weather..........you can easily test this yourself.........before buying or making one.............Just spray the LNB face with water...you will see a reduction in signal...........

The rainhood don't do miracles.....but just helps a bit.........And that might be the difference between reception or not...!

Good Luck.......Cheers ...Steve......

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Most of the rain fade is from the moisture in the air but a part of the problem is also rain drops on the LNB's feedhorn. I've found some LNBs seem more sensitive to this problem than others (the 23mm type seem worse). Then of course in some places when it snows often there is the build up of snow sitting on the LNB arm in front of the LNB blocking the signal too.
What really did amaze us, one winter we had a real downfall of snow here half a metre with blowing wind so I decided to go and have a look at the dish in the dark. I couldn't see the dish as it was completely covered in snow and with the wind it was actually a mound over the entire dish but we were still receiving the PE beam - no problem. That lasted another half hour when I did have to go and clean the snow off.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
What really did amaze us, one winter we had a real downfall of snow here half a metre with blowing wind so I decided to go and have a look at the dish in the dark. I couldn't see the dish as it was completely covered in snow and with the wind it was actually a mound over the entire dish but we were still receiving the PE beam - no problem. That lasted another half hour when I did have to go and clean the snow off.
I've noticed a similar thing once with a dish in Lapland but the snow was very dry and fluffy and not the wet type so I assume it contained more air than water. Astra 2A/2B North beam was OK but signal levels where down. Great camouflage though. ;) I've since moved the dishes elsewhere so the snow can't build up against it so easily.

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've noticed a similar thing once with a dish in Lapland but the snow was very dry and fluffy and not the wet type so I assume it contained more air than water. Astra 2A/2B North beam was OK but signal levels where down. Great camouflage though. ;) I've since moved the dishes elsewhere so the snow can't build up against it so easily.
Yes this was really powdery snow and it is definately right what you are saying because if we just have a small amount of wet snow or ice on the dish the signal goes straight away; so how is this possible? Even with the LMB in the dry snow we were receiving a signal. At the time I thought why do I need a dish!!

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
110cm dish, digital decoder Visionic slim 3. (french)LNB Technomate 0.1db Universal...'rain protected by black bucket!
My Location
France 50miles east of Toulouse ,nr Revel .southern france +
A LNB rainhood will help .....if you are right on the edge of reception in poor weather..........you can easily test this yourself.........before buying or making one.............Just spray the LNB face with water...you will see a reduction in signal...........

The rainhood don't do miracles.....but just helps a bit.........And that might be the difference between reception or not...!

Good Luck.......Cheers ...Steve......
hello Clown man.. I like the idea of spraying the LNB face with water to test the system ? we have come up with a good cover idea ! soon to be sorted ....
many thanks again .. hayley

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
110cm dish, digital decoder Visionic slim 3. (french)LNB Technomate 0.1db Universal...'rain protected by black bucket!
My Location
Just noticed this bit. The 1m limit is the size of the dish, not its height above ground (actually I thought it was 90cm but maybe this is old news?). In the UK the limit is measured along the longest axis but France may work on the effective size, i.e. the horizontal axis.

Putting the dish at ground level will just make life too easy if they come round with a tape measure! At least at a height it's difficult to tell the difference between a 1m and a 1.2m at first glance.
Hello PaulR..Thanks for your input ,on a previous post i had said that we had put the dish just above ground level for ease of maintenance etc etc ,would going 1ft higher better the signal ........the dish size is 110cm & to big to mount on the side of the house !!
re the Marie !! to get things into their system ??? they would hire a helicopter to view it if they felt so !!...............thanks again ...hayley

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Hayley, height of dish will make no difference, provided there is an uninterupted line of sight.

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Hayley, height of dish will make no difference, provided there is an uninterupted line of sight.
Rolfw...Great news ..my man ..jewells has been agonising over this ,So much to learn !! So little time !!..jewells......................................thanks Hayley

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
re the Marie !! to get things into their system ??? they would hire a helicopter to view it if they felt so !!..
Not for a satellite dish, no. But "they" do operate planes that go out looking for swimming pools that haven't been declared (implication with the Taxes Foncieres there) and might pick up a satellite dish. Highly unlikely that they could tell the size though.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
But "they" do operate planes that go out looking for swimming pools that haven't been declared (implication with the Taxes Foncieres there) and might pick up a satellite dish.

Must dust off my anti aircraft gun..........

hayley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Not for a satellite dish, no. But "they" do operate planes that go out looking for swimming pools that haven't been declared (implication with the Taxes Foncieres there) and might pick up a satellite dish. Highly unlikely that they could tell the size though.
hello PaulR !! yes !! we had madam!!! at the gate at 8am ? requiring info on the pool !! when i questioned her of not making a rendezvous ?...she was not happy !! Further questioning !& my reply was that the pool contractor should inform the required dept / not the poor English soul Who had no Idea of their rules & regs are !!..I suggested she should not leave France !! Otherwise she would be in for a shock !!..I never saw her again ............LNB cover on Now waiting for the rain !! will report later ..thanks.. jewells Hayleys man !!

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Just spray the LNB face with water...you will see a reduction in signal...........

Tested this, spraying lnb front = some immediate %'s drop, would have no impact on any strong signal, but indeed "might be the difference between reception or not" on some fringy, rainy night.

Off to buy some weather protection, which i formerly believed to only help against snow build-up.