Advice Needed what box ?

robLFC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky box / 47 lg tv / i7 16gb .
My Location
england
hi ive cancelled sky and i want to buy a satellite box to watch with existing sat dish , nothing too out there just basic progs

id like a couple of things on it and wondered if someone can give me any ideas of boxes that might be suitable please ?

id like :
need the "+" facility to be able to pause and record .
hd socket .
the ability to use a video sender would also help . i use a scart based plug in one .
rca audio outs needed [or a second scart so i can use a scart to rca adapter] .
usb port to update channels .

wifi would be a bonus i guess but could use an adapter if price was considerable . if i can get a 'cheap tip' and a 'worth spending a bit more' tip ?

on the boxes that say pvr but dont have a hard drive inside , do people use usb external drives with these boxes ?

hope someone can advise , and where best place to purchase is [ie ebay] .
thanks

Last edited:

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
you would be better off getting a freesat hd pvr as this will give you 7 day epg, bbc/ivt/c4 player ect and allow recording of programmes with very little set up. you will need 2 feeds from the sly dish which you will probably have anyway. personally id go with a humax foxsat pvr.. second hand or reconditioned one off e*** or humax themselves with a 320gb hdd is around £110 although there are other makes like grundig ect. you could of course get yourself say a vu+duo or similar and install a hdd but this will require a great deal more reading/setting up but with this the customisation is endless. your looking at about £270 with a 1tb hdd installed.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yup - Freesat pvr will tick most of your boxes here. Current prices specs etc can be found on the joinfreesat.co.uk website

robLFC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky box / 47 lg tv / i7 16gb .
My Location
england
Code:
http://recombu.com/digital/news/freesat-freetime-humax-hdr-1010s-1tb-white-wifi-hands-on_M11360.html
hi guys will my IR video sender work in the scart plug of this ?
ie re RF/UHF/modulator type terms ive been reading about
it currently works fine in my sky hd box and wonder if this is the same ?
Code:
http://recombu.com/digital/news/freesat-freetime-humax-hdr-1010s-1tb-white-wifi-hands-on_M11360.html