what cable do I need?

BadBehaviour

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD+ box
My Location
essex
I have purchased a sky HD box to be able to view FTA channels (I have a Sky viewing card for the FTV channels too).

The previous tenant had a Sky subscription so the dish was already installed. We have an aerial up on the roof but we get only about 25 channels, and half of them are just the +1 versions I'd say, so no good.

I have no experience with satellite TV and the various cables. There is a cable that goes from the dish inside the front room and then there is this mysterious cable that seems to just go from the front room up to our bedroom. I checked outside and the cable is not connected to the dish outside or the aerial... it just connects the front room with the bedroom, but I can't see why they would have done that without any apparent purpose.

I want to be able to use the Sky box upstairs, but there doesn't seem to be a cable getting there from the dish. The mysterious cable seems to fit in the RF out connector on the Sky box. So, my question is, can I leave the box downstairs and get the FTA channels in the bedroom If I connect to the TV upstairs the mysterious cable plugged downstairs into the Sky box?
The mysterious cable is quite short upstairs and so, if all that is feasible, I would need to extend it somehow. You can see a pic of what the connector of the mysterious cable upstairs looks like at this link:http://i62.tinypic.com/a0jk1k.jpg.
What type of extension would I need to then plug it into the TV?

Sorry if I didn't maybe explain everything too well, and thanks in advance for any reply.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That is most definitely not a standard satellite connector!

Your best bet is just to run a new line of cable from the dish to where ever you need the receiver to be, and put the standard f connectors on each end..

A

archive10

Sound like the mysterious cable is a multi-room cable.
The living room sky box will re-transmit a signal on the R(adio) F(requency) output that can be picked up on a TV in the bedroom.
using something called a infra-red extender (or more correctly a "magic eye"), you can remote control the living room box from the bedroom.
So; hook up your normal sky box in the living room, plug the mysterious cable into the "RF out" of the sky box, and put a TV + a "magic eye" remote thingy in the bedroom.
Job done.

BadBehaviour

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD+ box
My Location
essex
I was told that cable goes into the RF out connector in the Sky Box and can be plugged upstairs into the aerial in socket on the back of the TV. If so, how do I extend the cable, because it's too short as of now to reach the TV.

A

archive10

Sound like the mysterious cable is a multi-room cable.
The living room sky box will re-transmit a signal on the R(adio) F(requency) output that can be picked up on a TV in the bedroom.
using something called a infra-red extender (or more correctly a "magic eye"), you can remote control the living room box from the bedroom.
So; hook up your normal sky box in the living room, plug the mysterious cable into the "RF out" of the sky box, and put a TV + a "magic eye" remote thingy in the bedroom.
Job done.
Need to add: the signal received on the (bog standard) TV in the bedroom is not as good as in the living room as the signal has been re-modulated and is sent to the bedroom in analog format.
The cable is easily extended using a standard aerial etension cable (can be bought fom any TV-shop or on-line).

BadBehaviour

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD+ box
My Location
essex
Thanks. The TV upstairs is a Smart TV full HD, if that can make a difference.

BadBehaviour

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD+ box
My Location
essex
I have an IR extender that came with the TV. I hadn't thought of the fact that if I leave the box downstairs we can't change the channels from the bedroom

A

archive10

Thanks. The TV upstairs is a Smart TV full HD, if that can make a difference.
Any extender cable shold do the job.
Just plug the cable in the back, and do a "channel search". The TV should pick up the Sky box in the living room if on a connected.