What motorised system to buy for Greece

Ian Rickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Dish
My Location
Kent
Hi, I am planning to move to Greece, I think I will be able to keep my UK Sky subscription going for at least a year so I should be able to use that. What I will need is a Satellite dish that is motorised so that I can track different satellites as I want to receive both English and French stations. What would be the best system for this?

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
I used to live in south west Greece(Kalamata) and I had the arc from 68e-43w all covered with a 1.4m dish and an 18" actuator. The size of a dish can be quite important because Greece is quite southerly and many footprints are almost fringe, thus requiring a larger dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi Ian, welcome to the forum.

Well you wont get any of the BBC / ITV programmes from 28E with any sensible sized dish, and you may well struggle with many of the other channels as the beams on the new Astra 2's are tighter and dont go so far east as they used to.

French tv - that depends on which channels you want, but look at 19E & 5W.

Ian Rickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Dish
My Location
Kent
I used to live in south west Greece(Kalamata) and I had the arc from 68e-43w all covered with a 1.4m dish and an 18" actuator. The size of a dish can be quite important because Greece is quite southerly and many footprints are almost fringe, thus requiring a larger dish.
Many thanks for your reply. I am afraid I know nothing about this subject being a Sky user. How big a dish do you reccomend? Also will a motorised dish pick up different satellites? a friend in Italy had something that tracked different signals.

Ian Rickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Dish
My Location
Kent
I will be living in Athens, if that helps.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
My Location
Canada
A decent sized motorised dish will pick up many if not all sats depending on their footprint. In Athens, space is a bit of an issue and you would require a clear path to the south which may be a problem. Another issue is where to install a dish of that size, if a flat concrete roof is involved then you wouldn't have any problems as long as there are no obstacles or buildings blocking your view.

Ian Rickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Dish
My Location
Kent
A decent sized motorised dish will pick up many if not all sats depending on their footprint. In Athens, space is a bit of an issue and you would require a clear path to the south which may be a problem. Another issue is where to install a dish of that size, if a flat concrete roof is involved then you wouldn't have any problems as long as there are no obstacles or buildings blocking your view.
Many thanks for that. I now know to point it south. Yes, it can be a problem getting a clear view so I will have to make sure I can get to the roof and bring a load of cable. Actually, what cable is it? Coaxial or special satellite stuff?

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Canada
I'm using rg6 and ribbon cord to be able to control my actuator with my stand alone positioner.