Advice Needed Wifi problems - Qbox has bug with WPA2 security

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I got a netgear wifi router, works ok.

I want to use the WPA2 - PSK security, as it tells me that this isthe only option if I want to have uo to 300 Mbps. However my Qbox only works with WPA - and that has an automatic setting for only up to 54 mbps.

So what I did is have two networks set up in the router, one primary with the faster and newer security, and one for the qbox - but that has no security at all - this is the only way it will work.

It worked ok, so I got my computer on one network and the Qbox on the other. But I could not access the qbox from my computer. So I had to use the "Allow guest to access My Local Network" option, but that is not good because it means that someone could log onto the unsecured network and see what is shared.

So I unclicked the "Enable SSID Broadcast" - so no someone scanning for networks can see that there is a connection available, but cannot log on as he does not know the network name.

How secure is this if I use a long name?
Or does anyone have a better Idea?

Cheers