Windows7 and which sat card for HD

gadget

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 DAPCI
SKY + 250
My Location
southampton
its been a long time since i have been on the sat forums, so i am totaly out of touch with whats current and relevant guys

i have a 1mtr 36v motorised setup connected to my Technomate 5000 DAPCI , so that will give you a clue as to when i was really into sat stuff, it still works perfect and i still maintain the motor and dish but tbh its just sat doing nothing

These days i am a huge windows media centre nutcase, especially windows7 and i got to thinking seriously about adding a freesat card to my HTPC rig with maybe using my 1mtr dish rather than using my sky dish which does suffer from heavy rain probs

could you guys give me some choices please or advice on what freesat card to buy that will work with Windows7 so i can recieve HD from BBC and ITV

my internal curent freeview card gives a less than perfect picture and i wont be sorry to see it go, this is via digital RF rather than sat, its not really the cards fault more my display which is a 50" plas and this has a habit of making ok pics look bad due to the Tv`s size

what i do no is freeview is "T"and HD is "S" i think lol so a card with both would be excellent

thanks for any info you have guys :)

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
T: is terestrial, yes it aint spelt right

S: is for satilite

Most cards that handle vista should work with win7, i have a compro 350s and that works with dvbdream in win7, but is alittle grumpy now and again, which it is with vista anyway but thats got to do with compro crap that comes with the card, you wil have to get some h264 codecs for yer card + software, unless they come with some form of software that has the codec with it, i use core h264;) Have a google for dvbs cards you should be able to find some that are alittle more advanced then my old dvbs card.As for HD i have a lnb which says HD onit , but wether you need an lnb that is dedicated to hd or not i have no idea, all i know is you need the codecs ie : h264:toke: Gaz

gadget

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000 DAPCI
SKY + 250
My Location
southampton
codecs are no issue Gaz , i use the only codec pack anyone should ever need and thats shar007 codecs , it even allows HD playback now of ripped HD movies which is awsome for us Media Centre plonkers lol , 264 is included in the pack

i would never look at any other codec pack, shark keeps things to a minimum and thats what keeps things working

The media Centre community is great for Media geeks like me but to get the real SP on whats best in the sat world i figured i would return to my starting place and thats here on a sat forum where sat geeks hang out , i can then return to the Media geek world and proclaim my knowledge is all my own , which it isnt coz i is as daft as a brush really :-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2

but seriously it would be good to no what u guys think is best :)