Worth PC based giving Non-Sky Sat a go?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Hello, new here and on a mission for research.

I known NOTHING about non-Sky Satellite TV but fancy a look around:).

Due to a change in plans for the location of our SkyHD Dish I find myself with 2 individual cores of high quality co-ax cable out to a wall that is just crying out for something to be connected to it.

Ideally I'd like other HD content, Sports and the odd "late night" channel or two. Stuff I can't get on Sky basically.

The dish will have to go on the wall and shouldn't really be more than around 60cm. Fixed would be ideal but I won't rule out motorised, although getting power to it may be beyond my abilities. It can point in a similar direction to the SkyHD Dish, but not a lot further west, but has quite a bit of range further east than that. It's in a back garden and not visible by the neighbours.

Is a on a 60cm dish (fixed dual LNB or motorised) in Kent up to what I want to achieve?

What satellites should I be aiming for?

I'd like to build a PC based solution so that I can save to network storage. I've built loads of Windows HTPCs over the years, and have played a bit with Linux with some success.

If it is possible could anyone recommend the best Decoder/Receiver Cards, Dish controllers & Cams for my purposes please? Alternatively, are there Lan enabled Sat Receivers that I can transfer recordings to network storage later?

Could someone point me in the direction of where to start please? I guess I'll need to identify the satellites I want to receive and work out what kit will be needed to do that? Which Sats you'd recommend would be a big help.

Thanks,

Mark.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look at the Dreambox section Mark, Linux based receivers with network capability.

Dish wise, a 70cm Raven Gemini dish would get you Astra 28.2, 19.2 and Hotbird 13E, using an offset bracket and DiseqC switch.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
rolfw said:
Have a look at the Dreambox section Mark, Linux based receivers with network capability.

Dish wise, a 70cm Raven Gemini dish would get you Astra 28.2, 19.2 and Hotbird 13E, using an offset bracket and DiseqC switch.

Spot on, thank you. Will do some research on the Dreambox. I take it these will taken the necessary Cams/Cards for channels I may require?

Is that Raven Gemini and DiseqC a Fixed or Motorised solution?

Thanks,

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That would be a fixed dish, not sure whether a motor is that useful, given your lack of access to much West of Astra 28.2.

Dreamboxes use software emulators, but you'll get to know about those from that section. :)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Thanks for the reply,

rolfw said:
That would be a fixed dish, not sure whether a motor is that useful, given your lack of access to much West of Astra 28.2.

Would this dish & DiseqC need more than 1 run of co-ax from the Dreambox?

Dreambox does seem like a great solution, I'm quite adept at hacking/modding Tivos so any tweaking shouldn't be too scarey. Any point in the Dreambox 800/8000 with the limited range of Satellites I can see? Any HD broadcast in that region?

Also, could anyone recommend a good Kent installer that could assess whether I could get further west than Astra 28.2?

What Dreambox version would you recommend?

Thank you,

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
DiseqC switching only requires a single cable feed to the satellite receiver, but if you have a receiver with a twin tuner, then of course you need to use twin output LNBs and two DiseqC switches, one for each tuner.

The upcoming Dreambox 800 and 8000 are the only ones with HD capability, so you may want to hang on for their release if you go the Dreambox route.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
rolfw said:
The upcoming Dreambox 800 and 8000 are the only ones with HD capability, so you may want to hang on for their release if you go the Dreambox route.

Hehe! I've just been reading a When/IF the 800/8000 will ever appear thread.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Mark Falsebeard said:
Also, could anyone recommend a good Kent installer that could assess whether I could get further west than Astra 28.2?

It is not too difficult to do it yourself, just keep adjusting the dish round until you can no longer pick up any satellites. Also have a look to see if there is a better place to put the dish to get more of the arc.

Robbo:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
rolfw said:

I've been thinking... My current Sky dish is in a better location really.

Would it be possible to replace my existing Sky dish with a fixed installed 70cm Raven Gemini and run to my current SkyHD box and 2 cables to a Dreambox and/or PC for the other channels?

The signal would need to be at least as good as the current skyHD strength though.

Thanks,

Mark.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes it would be possible.

Assuming you currently have a zone 1 minidish, I don't think the signal level from the 70cm dish is likely to be be worse. It is a common configuration used by others without problem.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
rolfw said:

Just so I understand what I need to run here... I already have twin cables running directly to a SkyHD receiver .... Do I need 3 additional LNBs (1 Each for Astra28.2, Astra19.2 and Hotbird 13E) with a single co-ax cable from each LNB to the DiseqC and then 1 Coax cable from the DiseqC to the Dreambox/PC?

Could I pinch an additional feed from the SkyHD LNB (I'm currently using 2 of 4) and feed that into the DiseqC as well?

Would this mean that the Dreambox/PC could recieve (Free)Sky and the additional 3 Satellites?

Thanks,

Mark.