satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Out of interest, why does my Technomate receiver not move from reference to Thor and remain at zero after usals set up.

My long is 1.2 West. When I tell my motor to go to reference (zero) and then to go to Thor, it doesn't move. It should technically move 0.4 Deg East. (1.2 - 0.8 = 0.4)

The dilemma is my previous receiver of which I have just swapped out did make a movement of the difference between my long and Thor.

Could this be:

1. my previous receiver had 0.8 Thor and the new receiver has 1W Thor. Would this new movement of 0.2 degs be so small that the motor will not move anymore.

The system is working fine by the way with no problems, it's just I am interested to know.

Cheers

sg2100a, Technomate 5200D USB, previous receiver was a Topfield 5000ci

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think if it were a quality 1.2m dish or bigger it would be critical, but probably isn't with an 80cm.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Just found it strange how you get the movement difference between the two receivers.

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
I imagine that it is because of
1. my previous receiver had 0.8 Thor and the new receiver has 1W Thor. Would this new movement of 0.2 degs be so small that the motor will not move anymore.

If you designate thor as 0.8 degrees west in your receiver instead of 1.0 west you will see the dish move slightly.

Rolfw is also correct, the larger the dish the tighter the beamwidth. The smaller the dish, 0.4 degrees, becomes insignificant in receiving a strong transmission.
Parky

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
satelliteman said:
Just found it strange how you get the movement difference between the two receivers.

I think the explanation is that your new receiver like mine has Thor at 1W by default, so the motor is only turning by 0.2 degrees. I maybe wrong but I think you would have trouble seeing this at the motor end.

Whereas 0.4 degrees bewteen 1.2W and 0.8W would be easier to spot.

You could always make another sat position for 0.8W or redesignate 1W to 0.8W as per Park Royals suggestion, you should see it move a bit then.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Makes sense, cheers :)