1.25m and DiSEqc

daki_m3

Reaction score
I'm having 1.25m sat-dish and i'm planning to make it "motorised"! :)

The question is: is DiSEqc capable of moving the dish of that size...is it advicable at all to move it using DiSEqc....and what motor can u suggest for 1.25? (SJ 120, SG2100...or whatever....)
Thanks....

farr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP Professional, Skystar 2, TM5200D+ Super, 1m motorised dish [62E-58W]
My Location
York, North Yorkshire
Speaking as a non expert, my understanding is that DiSECQ will only move dishes of up to 90cm/1m reliably so you would need a 36V motor and V-Box or similar.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes as farr says, although the bigger DiseqC motors will move a 1.2m dish, the strain on the motor is not recommended.

You would be better with a 36v motor and a V-Box to interface to the receiver.

daki_m3

Reaction score
*Rolfw

You said "strain on a motor"....does this apply to ss2, power suply, etc. or to motor ONLY?! Can I "burn" this way something inside PC, or am I risking motor only? I read somewhere that SJ 120 is capable of moving even 1.35m dish...and of course, i know this is not advicable.....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
No, only the motor is at risk AFAIK, due to mechanical overloading of the gearbox, caused primarily by excessive wind loading (and, over a longer period of time, bearings and gears by the extra weight.)

Sorry, that reads like a dog but I'm too tired to re-write it!
Hopefully you get my meaning.

STICK

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
E-mailed a Swedish webshop a while ago asking them about fitting a 125cm Gibertini on the Moteck SG-2100,the answer I got was:"nothing we would recommend".

BUT

There is one man (A Forester) on this forum who did this and he's dish was located in a shallow place and he didn't have any problems.

daki_m3

Reaction score
Thanks guys...STICK, you are so helpfull (i read 80% of threads in this forum) I think people would understand you even if you write in Turkish.

So, V-box it is....problem is that my dish is on a windy place, there is no way I can put it somewhere else, so I will forget about DiSEqC....but the prise of my system will go up dramaticaly....
Anyway, what's the prise of a V-box + 36V motor (both of them "decent" ones)?

Thanks again......

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
well, I've got an SG 2100 with a 1,2 m dish (it did say in the instruction this is the biggest size allowed...).See "Pictures of Members systems" It does work, even though my dish is exposed to wind...My thought was that in the EU you get automatic 2 years warranty on anything bought from trade, so as long as the dish is not bigger it is ok. If you want to try the whole motor thing before commiting yourself to expensive stuff, get yourself a cheap 42£ SG 2100 and see what happens. When my one gives up I will get a better one. (already 1.2 years old, 8 months to go :-)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
daki_m3 said:
Thanks guys...STICK, you are so helpfull (i read 80% of threads in this forum) I think people would understand you even if you write in Turkish.....

Thanks m8. Very kind of you to say so... :-ohmy