1 Receiver/Dish 2 TV's - Anyway to improve RF signal?

kaan46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY
My Location
UK
Hi,

I'm currently using 1 receiver and dish with the SCART output going to one TV and the RF output going to an upstairs TV.

The TV on the SCART output is crystal where as the TV on the RF output is a little poor.

Is there any straightforward ways to improve the RF signal or is there a certain amount of natural degredation that can't be overcome?

The actualy cable and connectors are a little old but I'm advise this won't make any difference - is that correct, or would brand spanking new RF cable and connectors be likely to improve?

Is there are sort of booster here that would help to a meaningful degree or would they not be worth the money?

Thanks a lot

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum kaan46
kaan46 said:
The actualy cable and connectors are a little old but I'm advise this won't make any difference - is that correct, or would brand spanking new RF cable and connectors be likely to improve?

Presumably when you say old cable I assume you refer to standard TV cable. If it is standard then it will have a core containing air gaps instead of a foam dielectric as with satellite cable. Often people trap this cable under furniture or going round a corner too tight causing the cable to flatten or put the wrong size cable clips on and end up flattening the cable against a wall thus causing signal losses. I would suggest opening the connectors and ensure that the central core is still connected properly and if necessary totally remake the connections.
If any insects have laid eggs in the cable or are living in the air dielectric core this will also cause great losses.
Whoever advised you was in my opinion not correct as an old piece of cable may have a history that you are not aware of.
Having said all that it also depends on the length of the cable run but you will never get the same picture quality as with a scart lead.

kaan46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY
My Location
UK
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I will look into replacing the cable, the difficulty is that it goes behind a wall and through the ceiling but the cable is old and probably low grade and I doubt the connectors are in that good a shape either.

What do you think about a booster? Is this helpful in this situation or not worth it?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are looping the off air terrestrial channels through the digibox, try taking out the aerial cable and seeing what the Sky channel signal is like. If it improves, then you need to change the output channel, if it doesn't improve, then it will be as Topper suggests, a poor quality or damaged coax cable, or perhaps bad connections.

kaan46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY
My Location
UK
Thanks.

I am looping the other aeriel which I have removed. I've also cycled through a lot of the different output channels, cross referencing with my local transmitter, I think I've got the best balance I can.

Does anybody know if a booster would help here?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So is the picture for the Sky channel good without the other channels?

If it isn't, then you need to look at what happens with the cable run and connections from the back of the digibox, all the way to the second TV, in a domestic installation, the runs will mostly be less than 15 metres and shouldn't lose more than four or five DB of the terrestrial signal, still leaving you with a good watchable picture from the Sky digibox.