1 West and 5 East on Twin LNB? Advice pls.

EDW

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from single to Dual LNB on 13e and 19e easily enuff and
am getting top pics on my 70cm offset solid (found in a skip). I don't miss being on the roof, I keep seeing Rod Hull's ghost coming out of the chimney.
Poor Rod, he deserved better.

On the twin lnb box it also had a suggestion that you do 1w and 5e but my dealer said he tried it once and it was a bit crap but he added that LNB's had improved since then and he is a bit thick, to be frank.

I now have a spare single LNB of course (Alps) but was thinking about going dual on 1w 5e on a 1.1m TD until I can afford a decent 36v H-H and Vbox set up as the 1.2v Disecq motors get bad reviews at......

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/motors.htm

Any idea if 1w and 5e will work? I guess I will need an AB switch and can I fit the two cables and tv cable in to a 3 to 1 diplexer to save on cable runs?

erik1

Reaction score
1°W and 5°E is a popular set-up in the Baltics and Scandinavia.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Go ahead EDW no problem, as erik1 says popular set-up in the Baltics, and don't listen to thick dealers. :-righton

EDW

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, I shall give it a go and let you know.

Dealer is a nice man from Iraq, but a bit thick as I say, perhaps it's the language barrier.

Genuine conversation went something like......

Me. 'How much is a Triax TD 1.1m Polar Mount'?

Dealer. 'What is polar mount'?

Me. The bit that goes with the actuator.

Dealer. 'What is actuator'?

Me. 'The bit that goes from East to West'?

Dealer. 'Is it 28 East? I am not Sky Dealer'

erik1

Reaction score
I'd say the majority of people out there have just a standard fixed dish, so if this dealer is sort of new, or isn't into it with both feet, he may not be familiar with motorized dishes and the set-ups. If he's the only guy near you, or if you just want to help him learn a little more about his trade, then maybe you should go there with some pictures of what you want and educate him a little bit...

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
erik1 said:
I'd say the majority of people out there have just a standard fixed dish, so if this dealer is sort of new, or isn't into it with both feet, he may not be familiar with motorized dishes and the set-ups. If he's the only guy near you, or if you just want to help him learn a little more about his trade, then maybe you should go there with some pictures of what you want and educate him a little bit...
Charging consultancy rates naturally. ;)

uksaints76

Reaction score
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but this post has left me confused. I've never been able to find 1w but have managed to find 5e, 13e, 19e & 30w by moving the dish manually and checking for a signal. Is 1w near to 5e if you can use a twin lnb? I'm new to satellite as you can probably tell and have spent hours manually adjusting my 1m dish trying to find a signal. I'm in the Hampshire area if that helps, many thanks.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
You should have no problem finding Thor (1 west). Position your dish on Sirius (5 east) and move the dish 6 degrees west.
Thor was the very first satellite I found, and that was with a 60cm dish.
With your 1 metre should be easy, best of luck