1 West

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I recently installes a motorised system with a Mnahattan starlight 6800 receiver and have a viaccess cam and a Conax cam with a card for the Canal+ channels. I am interested in the premiership soccer on a Sat.

My problem is that during bad weather the picture freezes up or I cannot get any signal at all. I tried adjusting the dish elevation but the best signal I can get is 75% signal and about 82% quality. This is in fine weather.

The Adult channels and the Private Gold channels are freezing also, but to be honest these do not bother me.
I have noticed that the MUTV channel is OK by day but at night the picture is inclined to freeze.

I can get the viaccess scrambled on 13 East no problem and all the other sats seem OK. Any one out there with any ideas

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Where are you (Ireland?) and what size dish do you have?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That should be just about OK where you are, although you are out on the fringe, have you tried playing with the LNB Skew? In the normal course of events, your signal strength and quality should see you through most standard weather.

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
That should be just about OK where you are, although you are out on the fringe, have you tried playing with the LNB Skew? In the normal course of events, your signal strength and quality should see you through most standard weather.

Many thanks for your interest Rolf. Can you please explain what you mean by the LNB Skew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The alignment of the LNB in relation to the dish

Most are held by a clamping system that is tightened onto the throat of the LNB. Fine adjustment by twisting the LNB can improve reception

Additionally how far forward or back the LNB is in the clamp can make a difference to performance as well

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have tried adjusting the LNB and things have certainly improved, however I have noticed a deterioriation of the KIOSK Channels as the night goes on. This is mainly on the Kiosk 14 to 22 channels and the MUTV.

Any further advise would be appreciated

leamlara

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,
I am also in Southern Ireland, and have a 1.1M dish. However I can only receive 30% quality/strenght, and if there are clouds, then it disapears.

Do you have any advise for me, maybe a different LNB (mine is 0.6) noise.

Thanks a million.

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
leamlara said:
Hi,
I am also in Southern Ireland, and have a 1.1M dish. However I can only receive 30% quality/strenght, and if there are clouds, then it disapears.

Do you have any advise for me, maybe a different LNB (mine is 0.6) noise.

Thanks a million.

What part of Southern Ireland are you in........ I am in Tralee........
Do you use a motorised system and if you do what satellite did you use for true south

apogee2010

Reaction score
jimmyireland35 said:
My problem is that during bad weather the picture freezes up or I cannot get any signal at all. I tried adjusting the dish elevation but the best signal I can get is 75% signal and about 82% quality. This is in fine weather.

The sats at 1 West are very difficult to receive down in SW Ireland. You might see people in England posting that they can receive it perfectly in all conditions on an 80CM (even 60CM) dish, but the fact is, there is an very sharp drop off in power as you head in a south west direction. Also, the FEC on the Kiosks is 7/8, meaning you need a really strong signal (i.e. big dish) to get good picture.

Generally, I find Intelsat707 to be fine (understandable when you look at the footprint), but Thor2/3 are much trickier. Note that those 2 birds also have different footprints for different channels, so reception of one channel doesn't guarantee rececption of another, unless it's on the same TP (and same SR, FEC etc.)

Kiosk 1-12 is OKish, but failed outright with 11-20, and that's in good weather conditions with a 2.4M dish in SW Ireland.

leamlara

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,
Since I last posted, I have upgraded my LNB to the Invacom 0.3 dB. It improved my signal by about 15-20%. I can now receive most channels on Thor (including all the kiosk channels). Also I noticed a big difference when I twist the lnb from side to side.

Again, i'm in Cork with a 1.1M dish

Cheers.

howard

Reaction score
Should I be able to receive Private gold? I'm in NE England and have a 1m dish. I can receive and clear Kiosk channels on 1 west, so should I be able to get PG?

thanks

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I'm in Ireland ( Co. Laois) and with a 1.1m dish I can get every channel on 1W...well all bar one, Private gold.