daveburke114

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment!
My Location
Wirral
Hello!
Firstly im new to this game, so apologies for any stupid questions :p

I've had a look around the forums and can't seem to find what I need so wonder if you could help me.

I've got a large 15 bedroom house that I'm converting into a guest house.
I would like to be able to offer the guests at a minimum freeview TV in everyroom, but ideally I would like to offer some international channels and let them go on the internet on the TV too.

I have run a Cat5e cable to every point with a TV, and also a coax cable, but this was the old wiring so I'm not sure how great it is.

All the Cat5e runs back to the comms room where I've got enough space for whatever server I need. Im not entirely sure where all the coax runs too, some seem to go to splitter boxes in the loft, and others out to dishes on the roof.

Could someone advise me on any solutions available?

I would prefer not to buy 15 Satalite kits obviously due to the costs, so was wondering if there is somthing that would link into a server that I can then pipe to each room using a multicast switch or something?

Or am I totaly on the wrong track?!

Cheers for any help
Dave

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dave, this is way beyond the capabilities of a hobby level installation - basically you are looking at a small hotel style installation.

Sounds like the whole system needs sorting out once and for all - with one dish feeding a rackmount of receivers in the comms room or something similar.

Im going to move this into the installer wanted section so some of our guys more experienced in hotel style installs can have a look and maybe make some suggestions.

My own suggestion is let an expert do it!.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
If you want to offer foreign channels then satellite is the way to go. With an 9 in 16 out switch, you could offer all the UK FTA channels, plus all the FTA channels from another satellite, say hotbird as well. You can then just place a reciever in each room, nothing fancy needed. The multiswitch will also diplex a terrestrial signal onto each cable as well if you want it to. Probably best to pull new cables if your not sure as to the quality of the cable.

daveburke114

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment!
My Location
Wirral
ok, thanks for moving it to the right section!

thanks for your reply Rick.

Is there anyway to rack mount the receivers, then let the guest control it from their room?

Im wall mounting all the TVs and not sure where I could put the receiver in each room?

By 9 in 16 do you mean 9 feeds coming in, as in two dishes one with a octo LNB and one with a single? and then divide that up into the 16 rooms?

Any suggestions for kit, or where to continue reading up?

cheers
dave

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
9 in on a multi switch denotes feeds from 2x quattro LNB's (4 each) + a Terrestrial Feed.

Rack mounted recievers goes beyond my area of expertise, but if it's a job your interested in having done I can collaborate with others and work a price out for you.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
9 x 16 means 2 times four from two quattro LNBs pointing at different satellites plus one TV aerial feed. The TV aerial feed can also has FM and DAB combined in if wanted.

The 16 out is one to each room where you would need a triplexer plate to separate these out into three different sockets on a plate - satellite, TV and FM/DAB. The satellite receiver would then use something called DiSeqc to control which of the two satellites it wants tha channels of. The reason Rick suggested thyis is because you said you wanted to offer foreign channels and these are not found in any great quantity on Astra 2 at 28E. depending on which channels you had in mind the second LNB could point at either 19E or 13E - these being the usual options.

daveburke114

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment!
My Location
Wirral
ah right ok, I see.
Would someone be able to give me a rough ballpark figure so I can get an idea wether its worth persuing?

If not, I'll probably just go down the english FTA route, with the possibility of IPTV from a server.

Does anyone here have any experience with this either?

cheers
dave

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
Hi Dave,

Have you managed to sort this one out yet if not i may be able to help you

Regards
Jon

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
He hasn't logged in since November Jon so, unless he clicked for notification on this thread, you might not get a reply.

Must say that the requirements piqued my curiosity and I wouldn't have minded having a nose at the installation!

daveburke114

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment!
My Location
Wirral
Hi Fellas!
Sorry I havnt logged on in a while, all the rest of the building work has been a bit hectic! haha

At the moment the budget it getting tighter and tighter, so I'm thinking of possibly going down the Google TV route? I think most of the main manufacturers are making something similar at the mo. Can you receive certain international channels with a regular freeview receiver? Like the ones in most new LCDs? Or if I use googleTV or something similar, could I pipe in international channels over that?

Assuming I can:my understanding would be (but please correct me if im wrong)
Digital TV aerial / Satalite dish
16 Out Splitter
Co-Ax and Cat5e to each Tv
Freeview Box and Google TV on each TV

Is that about right?

Thanks for all your help!
Dave