15 years of Hubble...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Interesting...

_http://hubblesite.org/gallery/video/revelations/

_http://hubblesite.org/

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Thanks for that gameboy, very interesting. :-thumb1

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yes, very interesting. I know a lot of people are very annoyed at the cancellation of the next service of Hubble, meaning it could become unsuable in a few years, where as servicing it would keep it alive much longer.

I think this is made even worse by Bush's big publicity (stunts?) about new space exploration and mad ideas like putting men on Mars and so on - he won't even fork out the money to maintain Hubble.

There's little publicity left in Hubble, it's old news in the eyes of the public and so it's being abandoned despite most people in the field thinking it could do much more in the future with just a bit more money.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Manned space travel has always been "stunts", there's never been an attempt to "do it properly", it's been mostly politics!

As I understand it, earth based "adaptive optics" telescopes can now do at least some things that were previously impossible, so maybe the loss isn't too great, it could have been worse.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
spiney said:
Manned space travel has always been "stunts", there's never been an attempt to "do it properly", it's been mostly politics!

As I understand it, earth based "adaptive optics" telescopes can now do at least some things that were previously impossible, so maybe the loss isn't too great, it could have been worse.

Well if they wanted someone to go up there with a spanner, as long as the suit fits, I'd volunteer.

As for adaptive optics, it can only do so much, with the atmosphere as the molecules do work in unpredicatable ways at certain wavelengths.
Imagine if they started with adaptive optics on Hubble (and then the spotty youth in the IT department then gave the resolved pictures a once over in Photoshop)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
hmmm ... could start some new cosmological theories!