1m dish: any recommendations?

newby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at present
My Location
Peterborough
I need to buy a 1m dish. Are there any particular brands that are the best, is high gain dish better than ordinary, solid steel better than mesh etc, etc, etc. Would appreciate any tips on choosing the right dish. Needs to be quite "strong", as I need it to receive Amos 2 channels.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You might struggle with 4w on a 1m down there. One of our ex members who lived in Suffolk got some of the tp's on a 1.2m dish.

And you can forget anything off Amos 1 - its way down on power here.

newby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at present
My Location
Peterborough
I would still like to have some general tips on picking the right dish. Does anyone know of any good 90cm dish that would be the strongest in that size of dishes? Also, how do I evaluate the strength of a dish, ie. if it says high gain, is the dish likely to be stronger than ordinary dish, or is it just a sales pitch?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I got a decent Orbital 1m dish from Satcure about a year ago. Its solid and grey, and seems to work pretty well. Its strong - it survived being delivered hanging out of its box without a scratch!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Something like the Channel Master/Andrews 90cm is always a good bet for sensitivity, offers excellent gain figures, really depends what you want to do, they are not good for DiseqC motors as they are too heavy.

The Technisat Aluminium dishes are also an excellent product, used a couple and was very pleased with the figures.

J

Jeff_19341

One of the new members, me!, is getting 4*west (Amos2) with a 85cm dish but loses it during heavy rain. Not sure how far inland the signals can be received though.
If you are after a 1m dish I would plump for a Gibertini, nice and light aluminium, Funke do a 98cm and that is aluminium also.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I say Gibertini 104cm dish would suit you well, very high quality and performance.

newby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none at present
My Location
Peterborough
Thank you. I was considering Gibertini dish, but just wanted to check before buying it. I am going to go ahead and order it.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
A Triax TDA 110 vill give you about 15% more on your pic quality meter than a Gibertini 97x104 (op 100L)!