1st series Babylon 5

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just finished watching the first series on DVD, got it for Christmas. Really proves to me how good the series was, enjoyed every minute. :) :-laz

Have just bought the next two series on eBay for £45, really looking forward to watching them as well.

Yes I know I'm a sat git. ;)

H

Happy-Buddah

I too, personally, thought that the first series was the best of all. As for being a "sat git", each to their own, it wouln't do for everyone just to be hooked onto one type of programme. Can you imagine all programmes being of the same type as "changing rooms" or "flog it"?
On the SF theme, I like Andromeda but cannot get out of my mind that Kevin Sorbo is no longer Hercules. So it appears that I might be a "sat git"? (sad git?) also.
Cheers H-B

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive managed to stay up twice for the first episodes of Farscape presently on BBC3. I wish I had seen them when they were first shown as I might have made it a point to watch all of them in a logical sequence.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I stopped watching farscape, but got re-involved in the later series. I think I fell in love with the cute grey one, Chiana. ;)

I've watched all of the Andromeda series, but was a bit disappointed with it in the later episodes, it promised (in my opinion) so much more.

Why not start a thread about it, should be some interesting comments.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just started series four now, the series really warms up now. Got the final series five a couple of weeks back so should finish it in the next couple of weeks. :)

Old Geezer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S & TM5200D PVR Systems
My Location
Deepest South Wales
Rolf,
Hello Old friend (sound familiar!!),
You may have guessed from the opening line that I'm also a sad git , having all the vids of B5 (will eventually get the DVD's if only for the gag reels) and I thoroughly enjoyed the series.
Everyone has their favourite episodes/seasons , but I agree with You and Buddah that season 1 showed great promise.It's a shame that Sinclair didn't continue to season 2 as Bruce took a while to "fit in" to the show , but was superb in the "shadow wars" era.
As with most US series , it didn't know if there would be a next season , and having to shift the episodes around made the final season a bit on the weak side (unless you loved Lyta).
You really got to know all the characters and enjoy watching the things that happen to them.The actors made it so real You actually feel for them (wait till the last episode and try not to weep).
Sadly Crusade was never a patch on B5 , possibly because there was no time to explore the crew , or ,as I found, they just annoyed the sh*t out of Me (including Gary "I've been in loads of SciFi" Cole , to My mind a poor choice.
"The Legend of the Rangers - To live and die in Starlight" was well worth watching and kept the B5 storyline going a bit longer (nice to see G'Kar again) but like You I'm having to keep the faith watching the vids (or DVD's).
Hope you enjoy the rest of the seasons and get on better with Crusade than I did !!
See You again where no Shadows fall,
Cheers
Old Geezer

jeremiah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amd sempron 64 3000+ system
My Location
UK
I also love Babylon 5 and I'm very much looking forward to the new "Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark". Over time I've come to grow to appreciate the first season but can easily see how many people never get past it, thus missing out on what becomes a great show. I too really like Sinclair and while it's a shame that he was replaced. Still I really loved what they did with his character by revealing that he was in fact Valen, a Minbari not born of Minbari... Brilliant!

Hopefully in time JMS will write/direct mini-series showing Sinclair/Valen helping to defeat the shadows 1000 years ago.

Old geezer, on one of the audio commentaries on the DVDs JMS says that (name eludes me) the episode where Sheridan is captured and tortured was due to be the season 4 finale so you can imagine that much of the 5th season would have been the struggle to free earth. That way the 5th season wouldn't feel like an anti-climax. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad season it's just not that great either.

Personally I think Crusade had it gone on would have surpassed Babylon 5 or at the very least been an equal. To be fair Crusade was cancelled just as it was getting good. Nevertheless it was a quality imaginative sci-fi show that I sincerely hope gets continued in future Lost Tales DVDs! I disagree with your opinion about Gary Cole because I thought he was fantastic in the role of Captain Gideon. His character was very interesting and full of grey areas. Given four or five years of Crusade he may well have been my favourite captain in the B5 universe. I hope that you re-evaluate Crusade sometime in the future.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in enjoying the Legend of the Rangers - to live and die in Starlight! A lot of people seem to bash this movie but to judge it in the context that it's a pilot movie to a potential series I thought it was very good. The only thing I wasn't keen on was that martial arts weapon system which have since read wasn't what JMS wanted but due to budgetary concerns they settled for that idea.

Either way I like your little nods

"Hello old friend" Sinclair to Garibaldi.

"... See you again in the place where no shadows fall" Delenn to Sheridan.