PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You must have some very understanding neighbours.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Whats the price of a one day ticket to take the tour around the farm....:)

Free to you D, but don't come with a camera :p

Popped out and bought a tap and die set for collars and made a couple of rings,

You can take one of these D, which one do you want/tell me a outer diameter and I will make it, only takes a minute :)

Best place for collars if you want to use them is bearing boys
Shaft Collars by Bearingboys
IMG_3889.JPG IMG_3890.JPG IMG_3891.JPG

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

You can take one of these D, which one do you want/tell me a outer diameter and I will make it, only takes a minute :)

View attachment 104990 View attachment 104991 View attachment 104992

I will definitely leave the camera at home. I can just about make a phone call and send a text on a smart phone, other than that it is an ordeal. I am amazed when I see these youngsters with fingers and thumbs moving so quick when using smart phones, I am a "one fingered plodder". :)

About the ring, I hope to use it for C band with a polariser barrel or LNB feed. The polariser barrel is about 70mm O/D. The 125mm I/D ring would give me ~ 27.5mm internal adjustment all way round, The 150mm I/D ring would give me 37.5mm internal adjustment all round.

The C Band flat scalars I have are all between 155mm and 160mm diameter so both the 125mm ring and the 150mm ring are smaller than the scalar and would not add to any shadow on the dish face. Does the 125mm ring have any advantage over the 150mm ring? It looks like the ring you have used with the Titanium C Band LNB fitted was the 150mm ring?

Rgds

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well, if I had a Ferrari, I wouldn't just be showing its hub caps....

Carry on.

RimaNTSS has an Opel and he not show much more than a hub cap :-caravan

Rgds

Attachments

• Opel Wheel.jpg
    Opel Wheel.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 15

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
125mm ring have any advantage over the 150mm ring?

Only if you wanted to install multi lnb, you can get the offset closer

It looks like the ring you have used with the Titanium C Band LNB fitted was the 150mm ring?
Yes just slightly smaller than a scalar so no extra shadow when C band scalar is installed.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.

View attachment 104990 View attachment 104991 View attachment 104992

I like them collars BM so Ta for the link. Those rings look spot on, a right result there chap.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I like them collars BM so Ta for the link. Those rings look spot on, a right result there chap.

No worries J, the ring roller is a nice little tool for making things if/when you get a moment could you take some measurement's of the pro scalar, ive bought some thin ally for making a few.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

Yes, just checked it out and they supply a range of collar types and sizes that will be good for LNB feed clamps, solid, split etc, its a very useful link.

Thx

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
No worries J, the ring roller is a nice little tool for making things if/when you get a moment could you take some measurement's of the pro scalar, ive bought some thin ally for making a few.

Will do chap, i'll probably take some pics of them first to see which takes your fancy. I might get time to do it tonight cos the dragons at work, the main dish is down and there's usually nowt on the telly lol.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Will do chap, i'll probably take some pics of them first to see which takes your fancy. I might get time to do it tonight cos the dragons at work, the main dish is down and there's usually nowt on the telly lol.

Thanks J no rush as and when,

The collars are lots better than the pipe clamps, one central threaded rod is enough to hold any lnb stable, will elongate bottom hole on LNB ring for left/right movement,

Decided to drill and weld collar, I will install this tomorrow,

@ D, what size ring shall I do ? waiting to finish it, :-lol I will get it done next week, ive cut and drilled lugs just need to attach them when I know what size ring :)
IMG_3896.JPG IMG_3899.JPG

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Thanks J no rush as and when,

The collars are lots better than the pipe clamps, one central threaded rod is enough to hold any lnb stable, will elongate bottom hole on LNB ring for left/right movement,

Decided to drill and weld collar, I will install this tomorrow,

@ D, what size ring shall I do ? waiting to finish it, :-lol I will get it done next week, ive cut and drilled lugs just need to attach them when I know what size ring :)
View attachment 105008 View attachment 105009

A very nice neat appearance as well ;)

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
A very nice neat appearance as well ;)

Yes they blend in nice, there a nice fit hardly any movement with grub screw loose, once grub screws nipped up its solid.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
...@ D, what size ring shall I do ? waiting to finish it

I think the 150mm ring will be best for me.

Did you drill the holes on the lugs for the feed support arms or for the rivets? The Precision feed support arms I have accept and M8 threaded rod, if the holes on the lugs that the feed support arms connect to could be for an M8 stud/threaded rod they would be perfect if that is an option? I can always drill them out at a later date if I need to increase the size.

Many Thx

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I think the 150mm ring will be best for me.

Did you drill the holes on the lugs for the feed support arms or for the rivets? The Precision feed support arms I have accept and M8 threaded rod, if the holes on the lugs that the feed support arms connect to could be for an M8 stud/threaded rod they would be perfect if that is an option? I can always drill them out at a later date if I need to increase the size.

Many Thx
The holes are drilled for the support arms, unsure if I used M8/M10, if I used M10 it won't make any difference, TBH there better slightly bigger to allow movement,

I will mark the holder ring out and get them pot riveted on, will send you PM when finished.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.

These are the two old ADL scalar rings that i could lay my hands on at the moment. The simple one on the right was off a C/Ku servo feed unit from way back .... not sure what F/D it's designed for -- cant remember. The other conventional looking one is of a similar old age but you can see by the design of the rings that it would appear that a bit more theory and functionality went into the design compared to a modern day equivalent.
The other ring that i can't find at the moment is the same as the ones MB and Graham has i think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• Old ADL Cband scalar rings.. reduced...jpg
    Old ADL Cband scalar rings.. reduced...jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Old ADL Cband scalar rings. B . reduced...jpg
    Old ADL Cband scalar rings. B . reduced...jpg
    462 KB · Views: 27
  • Old ADL Cband scalar ring.. reduced...jpg
    Old ADL Cband scalar ring.. reduced...jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 29

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
These are the two old ADL scalar rings that i could lay my hands on at the moment. The simple one on the right was off a C/Ku servo feed unit from way back .... not sure what F/D it's designed for -- cant remember. The other conventional looking one is of a similar old age but you can see by the design of the rings that it would appear that a bit more theory and functionality went into the design compared to a modern day equivalent.
The other ring that i can't find at the moment is the same as the ones MB and Graham has i think.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks J, what is the OD of the single choke one, I will do some calculations to see what FD would be suitable for this scalar.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
blademedia,

I have an ADL scalar if you need pics or measurements of it? It came with an ADL feed barrel that accepts either a single WR229 flange or an orthomode WR229 flange.

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
blademedia,

I have an ADL scalar if you need pics or measurements of it? It came with an ADL feed barrel that accepts either a single WR229 flange or an orthomode WR229 flange.

Rgds

Thanks D, yes that would be useful, no rush its one of my projects for a rainy day.