moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@blademedia

Feed Holder Ring.jpg

Many thanks, the feed holder ring arrived this afternoon, most appreciated.

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
My C band collar turned up today,
IMG_3973.JPG IMG_3974.JPG

@moonbase , when you drill it for the threaded rod drill bang opposite the grub screw, that way it only alters up/down movement not left/right
IMG_3977.JPG

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
My C band collar turned up today,
View attachment 105354 View attachment 105355

@moonbase , when you drill it for the threaded rod drill bang opposite the grub screw, that way it only alters up/down movement not left/right
View attachment 105356

@blademedia

Thanks for the advice re the driling location for the threaded rod.

What size collar did you order, I was looking at some the other day and it looks like a 65mm split shaft collar or 2 5/8" solid collar would be OK for LNBF's such as the Titanium, Zinwell, PSI-X2, For the polariser barrel and the ADL feed I might need a 70mm collar or a 3" collar. Probably best to get one of each to cover all options?

If it is any help to forum members I have listed below the outer diameter of a few C Band feeds, it might help in selection of clamp/collar sizes?

Titanium -- 65.3mm barrel to 66.4mm at throat end
PS1-X2 -- 65.6mm
Zinwell -- 65.1mm
AV-COMM barrel -- 70.5mm to 71.5mm (irregular cylindrical shape from casting process)
ADL barrel -- 76.1mm
Cheapo Chinese single & dual feeds -- 65.5mm

Rgds

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Hi D, the collar is steel, I went for the slightly smaller one 69.? I'm just in the process of making a universal holder from aluminium that will accept any size C band lnb, I will post some pictures up later when its finished,

Thanks for the C band LNB dimensions that's useful.

The steel collar is now finished apart from cutting the threaded rod to length
IMG_3980.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That's a nice collar - much better than the clamps. Will nick this idea!

I know it's not really needed where the feedhorn comes away from an LNB (as in case of C band) but with normal offset LNB, you can't slide it in. Are these types of collars available in two halves anywhere? I guess I could just cut it myself but I have crooked arms and no doubt I will simply ruin it!

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
That's a nice collar - much better than the clamps. Will nick this idea!

I know it's not really needed where the feedhorn comes away from an LNB (as in case of C band) but with normal offset LNB, you can't slide it in. Are these types of collars available in two halves anywhere? I guess I could just cut it myself but I have crooked arms and no doubt I will simply ruin it!
The clamps are ok ish but do have a little play, the collar holds it lots better, they do split ones but they don't come with a grub screw, so you need to get one slightly smaller too clamp round,

Bearing boys is the best place to get them
Shaft Collars by Bearingboys

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
@blademedia

Nice work with the collars, it looks like you welded the threaded rod in place in the steel collar rather than tap the drill hole?
The universal hoolder looks good, that ring roller is getting plenty of use :)

Rgds

Yes I welded it its quicker, your next buy ?, I tapped the universal holder its not so bad tapping aluminium, soon I will be buying a combo lathe/milling machine, it will make life easier and enable me to make more items,

The ring roller is a nice little tool, I will be modifying the arms/feed holder on the channel masters soon, it will be the same as this one fixed larger ring that accepts smaller ones

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The clamps are ok ish but do have a little play, the collar holds it lots better, they do split ones but they don't come with a grub screw, so you need to get one slightly smaller too clamp round,

Bearing boys is the best place to get them
Shaft Collars by Bearingboys
Clamps have too much play in it for my liking, like you say. Ok once tuned and tightened but not consistent.

Will have a look at the link - thanks

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
A cheaper lighter option would be to buy some over sized aluminium tube, cut it the whatever width you want and drill four holes, one hole to hold it in place and the other three to clamp the lnb,

They would be no need to tap it, use nuts and bolts, nut inside the tube one out side on each hole

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I can put the precision feed to the test now :)
IMG_3991.JPG

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@blademedia

What thickness of aluminium bar did you use for the universal collar, it looks to be around 6mm using the Precision feed as a reference? I will have a look out for a small length section of aluminium pipe to try to cut a universal collar from it.

Thx

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
@blademedia

What thickness of aluminium bar did you use for the universal collar, it looks to be around 6mm using the Precision feed as a reference? I will have a look out for a small length section of aluminium pipe to try to cut a universal collar from it.

Thx

Hi D, it was made from 5mm, in future I will stick to 3 and 4mm, it easier to roll, it holds the C band and precision solid as a rock, ideal solution for swapping and changing LNB's

Ive moved the base yesterday just need to raise the base now, then its back to levelling and fine tuning, it position now will be more/less permanent.
IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3993.JPG IMG_3994.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Glad to see further progress ..... I've had withdrawal symptoms from this Topic this past week owing to being on hol without any Internet access :(

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Glad to see further progress ..... I've had withdrawal symptoms from this Topic this past week owing to being on hol without any Internet access :(

Thanks Lazarus, its slow progress but I'm getting there.