Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Hi.

I'm still making my mind if i'll get a dm800 this week or the next, but i'd like to know a few things before i make the jump. Could be a little early for these kind of questions to have a answer, but let's try it.

- Can the box handle a portable 2.5" usb hard drive disk**, does it have enough power for it?

- Multiboot, is it possible? From usb stick i hear that it is.

- If all the above are correct assumptions, can i use it as mutiboot and pvr? Can i record on to it and later stream to the pc?

I guess this is it for now, but fell free to make your own questions related to this subject. Maybe you have better ones.
Thanks.

** From what people are saying this might be one of the better solutions, since installing an hdd inside would make the box even more hot. The tuner is the one to blame.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I think that a 2.5" laptop HDD should be fine inside the box, just like the 600pvr, but have a ventillator near by to cool it.
This is what I do with my 7000S and internal 3.5" HDD.
Using an external 2.5" HDD might be possible without overloading the PS, provided that there is no internal HDD as well.
I think that I would go for am 8 GB USB flash stick first. Just waiting for their price to drop down and then copy the *.ts files to PC HDD or USB HDD. Should be enough for 3-4 hours of recordings.
Sorry, I don't use multiboot.
Personally I would rather wait for the 8000HD as it should have better features and more interface connectors.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Multibooting from a USB drive tends to be recommended in preference to multibooting from a hard drive because the disk will be spinning all the time, whereas the USB is solid state so no moving parts and no extra heat.

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
HB13DISH said:
I think that a 2.5" laptop HDD should be fine inside the box, just like the 600pvr, but have a ventillator near by to cool it.
This is what I do with my 7000S and internal 3.5" HDD.
Using an external 2.5" HDD might be possible without overloading the PS, provided that there is no internal HDD as well.
I think that I would go for am 8 GB USB flash stick first. Just waiting for their price to drop down and then copy the *.ts files to PC HDD or USB HDD. Should be enough for 3-4 hours of recordings.
Sorry, I don't use multiboot.
Personally I would rather wait for the 8000HD as it should have better features and more interface connectors.

You make some very good points. I already have a 1GB usb stick and it should be more than enough to run everything. Waiting for the holy grail of boxes doesn't appeal much to me, I already think these boxes are way overpriced and on the hand I don't need more connections, the dm800 features are more than enough for me.

mhku said:
Multibooting from a USB drive tends to be recommended in preference to multibooting from a hard drive because the disk will be spinning all the time, whereas the USB is solid state so no moving parts and no extra heat.

Good point, I guess that will be the way to go and HB13DISH's idea of having a big pen drive is almost perfect and and even cheaper than buying a 2.5" disk.

Thanks to both. :-thumb1

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can use both: USB for multibooting and hard disk for recording. Haven't seen a 160gb USB stick yet ;)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I use a cheap USB hub with four USB ports, with one 2GB USB flash stick for the /var and another for a USB keyboard.
I am thinking of buying a 2GB or even 4GB and stick them in the spare ports and try to record to them and then take them out in use in another PC like at work. Or buy 1GB and use it for the /var and make the test on the 2GB stick already in the system (should be a lot cheaper).
I still can't figure out how to do the mounting and recording to them instead of the HDD. Would appreciate a step by step procedure so that I can try this out.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mhku said:

Hi mhku,
Just trying to get my terminology correct.
I have a USB flash stick with the /var on it and a 3.5" HDD
Only one image is used.
Is this considered multibooting or just plain booting? Thanks. :)

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Multiboot is when you have 2 images and can choose wich to boot from. You can have the official image on the box and still boot from usb stick with a modified one. I'd say you have monoboot from usb stick. :p

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Just like Prophessor says.

I'm not sure how you can select where to record- perhaps in the "record DVR" drop down on the Timer Edit page. I don't have a USB stick in mine at the moment (it's a tiny 8gb one and I've misplaced it) but I'll try with an old 256mb usb stick when I have time.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Toshiba launced a laptop last month with a solid state hard drive- the laptop weighed less than a kilo.

bully2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
thanks bully2
ipbox9000hd+ ..paint it black.
kathrein ufs 910 paint it black.. jaeger 1224 el.vbox 2 .no name disch 120 cm
My Location
The Netherlands
Prophessor said:
Multiboot is when you have 2 images and can choose wich to boot from. You can have the official image on the box and still boot from usb stick with a modified one. I'd say you have monoboot from usb stick. :p
i have read in an other topic from you you work with an vbox on relook box and works fine ,can you tell me wat kind of type is this vbox?thank you gr.george

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Yes, it works fine. I had to get one because my motor is an old one, one of those with 5 wires (optical sensor), can't handle a diseqc command. I store all positions on the moteck vbox and use the relook to change satellite position via diseqc.

Here's a few images so you get the picture. :p

LNB -» VBOX -» RELOOK

Looks cheap, it's ugly, but works fine

bully2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
thanks bully2
My Location
The Netherlands
:-thumb1:-thumb1Thanks to Prophessor gr bully2

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Just noticed you have an ipbox 9000HD, you really should read this:
htp://www.denktenk.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5961&forum=60

It has information about vbox and the 9000hd that might help you. Marrying a vbox with a 9000hd can be difficult. The post i made above is for the SD boxes only, it might not work for you.

bully2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
thanks bully2
My Location
The Netherlands
Prophessor said:
Just noticed you have an ipbox 9000HD, you really should read this:
htp://www.denktenk.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5961&forum=60

It has information about vbox and the 9000hd that might help you. Marrying a vbox with a 9000hd can be difficult. The post i made above is for the SD boxes only, it might not work for you.
sombody told me the diseq 1.2 is buggy,maybe thats the reasen wy it dont works.thank you for your help.;);):-wave

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
HB13DISH said:
I use a cheap USB hub with four USB ports, with one 2GB USB flash stick for the /var and another for a USB keyboard.
I am thinking of buying a 2GB or even 4GB and stick them in the spare ports and try to record to them and then take them out in use in another PC like at work. Or buy 1GB and use it for the /var and make the test on the 2GB stick already in the system (should be a lot cheaper).
I still can't figure out how to do the mounting and recording to them instead of the HDD. Would appreciate a step by step procedure so that I can try this out.

@HB13DISH
I posted a bit of info on mounting devices here.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...eron-just-installed-my-laptop.html#post749491

It'll be slightly different for a usb drive. e.g. its usually something like /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1. And you dont have the luxury of a desktop gui to browse your files, but you can do it all through telnet.

To change the location for recordings,
bluepanel --> extras / setup --> record.

You should be able to change it here, this is what I see with Gemini v4.40 for DM 600.

You can also set an offset for start/end times for recordings here so that when you use EPG to set a record event, it will begin/end the amount of minutes you set before and after the event.

Regards
C

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
compufunk said:
@HB13DISH
I posted a bit of info on mounting devices here.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...eron-just-installed-my-laptop.html#post749491

It'll be slightly different for a usb drive. e.g. its usually something like /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1. And you dont have the luxury of a desktop gui to browse your files, but you can do it all through telnet.

To change the location for recordings,
bluepanel --> extras / setup --> record.

You should be able to change it here, this is what I see with Gemini v4.40 for DM 600.

You can also set an offset for start/end times for recordings here so that when you use EPG to set a record event, it will begin/end the amount of minutes you set before and after the event.

Regards
C

Thanks. I will try your suggestion.
Just waiting for a good price on the 8GB USB flash. It should be soon
There are now 16GB USB flash from SanDisk. Too expensive.

tux233

Reaction score
It's possible to use a USB disk for multiboot and recordings. You'll need to ...

1. Install the Barry Allen plugin.
2. Install the USB2HDD plugin.

Cheers