2,500 members?

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
question for the moderators. Like most people who use this forum I`m also a member of the other boards that discuss similar stuff. I`ve found this board to be by far the most helpful, no pi$$ takers, only useful responses and a brilliant archive section. Why then do other boards have 20,000 members and this has just 2,500? Are you keeping it quiet on purpose or have you closed the membership? Just curious really.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
One of the major differences Dave, is that you actually have to join some of the other forums, just to be able to look at them, so of course a lot of people join to do just that. Here you can look all you wan't and only have to join if you want to post.

Some of the other forums, at least up until recently used to allow the posting of Hex files and codes as well, so a lot of the registrants would join simply to have access to the files and codes. Even now on one forum, though they no longer allow the posting of Hex files or codes, the first posting many people make is "Where are the codes?" or "Can you tell me where the download site is?".

I certainly like the style of our forum and even if it isn't as busy as some of the others, there is a friendly relaxed atmosphere and a lot of information changes hands. I also use some of the others and find them enjoyable for different reasons, Horses for Courses I think they say :)

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I think it would be almost impossible to find 20000 people on the net that woul dbe considered 'useful' and give positive advice

As Rolf says, most other forums are to do with keys and codes, at least 90% registering would be 'leeches'.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I can understand most of what I read on this site, which is more than can be said for many of the others. I know it seems snobbish to say so, but the high standard of literacy of the users of this site is one of its major features as far as I'm concerned.

For conservative old farts like me, an absence of jargon and the use of sentences with subject, object, verb and reasonable punctuation are very desirable qualities.

wolsty

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
I fully agree with rolfw and Channel Hopper. This is certainly one of the most useful and friendly boards around. The wealth of information here is second to none. Long may it continue and my utmost regards to the Administrators and Mods.

Tirosh.