2 Communal dishes one socket

ryosuke

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help me.

Ive just moved into a new apartment with 2 communal dishes - one for Sky and the other on Hotbird.

There is only one socket coming out of the wall......

When I connect the Sky digibox, it works. When I connect the Humax box, it works on Hotbird.

How can I connect both receivers from the single socket??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A/B switch - can be bought for a tenner from several on line stores.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Loop out of the Humax into the Sky box, switch off the Humax when not using should work.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yep, as the Humax will be setup with DISEqC switching for Hotbird reception, looping through to the sky receiver will allow at default Astra2 reception when the Humax is switched off as said. A/B swicth also :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky digibox will bugger up reception on the Humax if used on the loopthrough, unless it is completely powered off at the mains, as it continues to power the LNB in standby.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
In theory it shouldn't matter, in practise on all the receivers I have tried (including a Humax) If the receiver which is being looped TO, is switched on, the receiver being looped FROM works, without restriction.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Theory is fine in theory. ;) :-rofl2

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, just tested with my meter looped through the Cuberevo and as you say, it must block the voltage and 22Khz from the meter when it is switched on, so the Cuberevo works fine, even when the looped box is still sending LNB power and tone.

I seem to remember on a couple of older receivers, that this wasn't the case, but it was a long time ago, so my memory may be playing tricks.:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
rolfw said:
I seem to remember on a couple of older receivers, that this wasn't the case, but it was a long time ago, so my memory may be playing tricks.:)

Yes, I too have seen this as not all receivers behave in this way.

ryosuke

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone. Got myself a/b switch, although its manual and a bit of a pain in the arse, it works a treat.

Cheers