2 dishes, 2 receivers, Sky, motorised, HELP!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The first problem I had was working out which section to post this in!

O.K I'll try and keep this simple.

I have two satellite systems. One downstairs, which is a Sky digibox connected simply to a Sky minidish. The second is upstairs, and is a Skystar 2 PCI card in my PC (...obviously...) connected to my diseqc motor-driven Triax 88cm dish.

Everything is cool. I can watch the mature content upstairs while my wife watches Eastenders downstairs. In fact, I only have to talk to the old trout if we accidentally meet in the kitchen if she gets a coffee while I'm getting a beer.

Here is the bummer. My motorised dish won't get round to 28.2E, so if I want to check out some BBC programmes, I have to watch the pictures and listen to my wife. Not ideal, I'm sure you'll agree.

What I need is a simple way of maintaining the two systems as they are, but also having the ability to use the Sky minidish with my PCI card.

I don't mind upsetting the wife when she's watching Eastenders, but I don't want to be unplugging and plugging cables either. I might spill my beer, so it's got to be an additional diseqc-type arrangement.

Can somebody fill me in on how to do the additional switching without confusing my motor, or causing me any excercise. I was thinking along the lines of a twin-output LNB on the minidish, and a 2:1 diseqc switch on the feed to my PCI card. Whaddya think?!?!?! Will this would work if I (temporariliy) leave the digibox on standby?

Oh, and although I definitely wear the trousers in my house (no, really... I do...), please don't tell my wife I called her an old trout, 'cos she's very scary when she's mad. Even after a few beers.

Lazybloke.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
BGonaSTICK said:
Can somebody fill me in on how to do the additional switching without confusing my motor, or causing me any excercise. I was thinking along the lines of a twin-output LNB on the minidish, and a 2:1 diseqc switch on the feed to my PCI card. Whaddya think?!?!?! Will this would work if I (temporariliy) leave the digibox on standby?
This is almost exactly what I'd do.

The only differences I would suggest would be to use a quad LNB on the minidish so that you have the option of the extra 2 outputs at some time in the future - for Skyplus perhaps? In fact I don't think that dual output LNBs are available for minidishes any more.

The other thing is to use 4:1 Diseqc switch as these are only a little more expensive and can then be used for another 2 satellites if you wish.

The quad LNB is effectively 4 separate LNBs so one receiver on standby will have absolutely no effect on another.

PaulR

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thanks m8!

eBay here I come...

Reassured of Brighton.