2 positioners, 1 motor, is it possible?

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
I want to operate my 36V motor/actuator from room A and room B, not at he same time obviously. If I have a junction box into which go 2 sets of the 4 wires(1 set from each room/positioner) go, and out of which comes 1 set of 4 wires going to the motor, then
a) will it work?
:cool: will using room A`s positioner immeditely do serious damage to room B`s positioner, since there will be a current sent from room A`s positioner straight into the motor connections of room B`s? (as well as to the dish). If so, would a `toggle switch` instead of a junction box be safe?, and
c) I realise that if I use room A`s positioner to move the dish from Astra to Hotbird will mean that room B`s positioner will think the dish is still at Astra, and therefore I would have to use Room A to move the dish back to Astra before I could use room B to move off somewhere else. At least I think that`s what would happen, anyone with any knowledge/experience of this?

Please don`t suggest remote extenders! I`ve been using them for years and they just don`t seem reliable to me. It`s that problem I`m trying to solve. :p

Cheers

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
(a) In theory it would work, but the fact that you have another set of wires hanging off your pulse cables could cause problems with pulse shaping and interference spikes.

(:cool: Keep the wiring seperate ( see (a) ).

(c) You'll have no end of problems maintaining dish position because of possible differences in pulse counting in the two receivers. (Unless you have some form of auto dish tuning, but even then it may still be problematic).

Oh well, back to the remote extender. (That's what I used when I had a similar setup.)

Llew

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Thank you,when you say `keep the wiring separate`, do you mean install some form of switch so that only 1 positioner is connected to the motor at any one time? Or do you think that`s unnecessary? The problems which you rightly point out about positioners not knowing where the dish is I can cope with, but I`m not keen on blowing a receiver/positioner!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yeah, keep the cables separate. I suppose any form of switching device will do, I used to use a couple of 'D' (RS232) plugs wired to each receiver, and a D socket to the actuator. Can't be arsed to mess around like that now, my old SR8700 does the dish positioning for the receivers in one room, the 'family' STB uses Diseqc switching to the dish(es).

Llew