hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Hi,
I've pushed my old 60cm dish a bit round to the west to 27.5W. I get a good if slightly unstable (60-70% quality, whatever that means) signal on the TP 11495V 44100 which according to Lyngsat carries UK channels. There don't seem to be any other Ku-band TPs on this satellite carrying anything other than feeds. According to the footprint map 60cm should be OK at my location, although admittedly leaving little rain margin. The sky is overcast at present. Repeated attempts to scan channels in are getting me nothing. Can somebody tell me what I'm missing? Multistream or something like that? (note that I can already get UK channels on 28.2E, this is merely an exercise in seeing what I can scan in :) ).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
BISS Keys .........................

Those Channels are backup for the UK DTT service and are "loosely" encrypted >> They are not for widespread public consumption so, as they are broadcast from a Bird with a Footprint that covers a wide area outside the UK, the BBC are obliged to take steps to prevent breach of Copyright etc.

There are some lengthy and detailed Threads about these 27.5W Channels somewhere on the Board!

They are seen by some (In the Canaries and elsewhere) as a "magic bullet" to counter the loss of coverage they now have due to newer Birds at 28E: However, the Keys have already been changed once in the past few months and will undoubtedly be changed as necessary to prevent such unintended reception.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If the PAT is currently encrypted most receivers wont scan anything.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Tivù said:
BISS Keys .........................

Those Channels are backup for the UK DTT service and are "loosely" encrypted >> They are not for widespread public consumption so, as they are broadcast from a Bird with a Footprint that covers a wide area outside the UK, the BBC are obliged to take steps to prevent breach of Copyright etc.

There are some lengthy and detailed Threads about these 27.5W Channels somewhere on the Board!
Ah - now I knew they were encrypted but didn't realise that this would prevent me from even scanning in the channels. Normally it doesn't....
Analoguesat said:
If the PAT is currently encrypted most receivers wont scan anything.
which is a new one on me :)

Thanks (again) Analoguesat and Tivù :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres a very long thread about the 27.5W UK channels in one of the fringe reception sections. The uplinkers keep the PAT encrypted most of the time to stop people watching. The channels were not accessible for most of last year.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Theres a very long thread about the 27.5W UK channels in one of the fringe reception sections. The uplinkers keep the PAT encrypted most of the time to stop people watching. The channels were not accessible for most of last year.
Ah well, was just an experiment. It was a little frustrating seeing the blindscan pull in channels from 30W and 24.5W but nothing from the satellite at which the dish was pointing :) Thanks again.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Just an observation - a forum search for "27.5W" returns nothing, and if I do a tag search the only thread I find is this one :)