28,2 east relative to horticulture

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am planning to put a pole for my future big dish in my garden and the positioning is going to be critical as I need to place it so that it sees betwen two buildings and also relative to some real fruitful appletrees which may or may not need to be cut down in the process.
To get the angle right I wonder what is the position of the satellite above earth. While I learned they hang above in the height of 36 000 km and above equator (that ‘s for latitude), what about their longitudinal position? Is this calculated from zero meridian (Greenwich) ?
I also found an Az-El calculator which gave me azimuth angle of 192 for my position but I am not sure what to do with it?
When I installed my first (smaller dish) I just took a bearing with compass for south and then twisted the dish 28 degrees east of that. The compass was confused for a while, being close to the METAL dish but somehow I managed to get a perfect picture after only a couple of minutes of gentle skewing. But now I think it might have been a fluke and anyway the exact positioning then was nowhere near as critical as it is going to be this time.
So please anybody:
East of what? and
How am I to use the output from the AzEl calculator?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I never rely on compass readings when attempting to find a satellite between obstacles, I usually loint a smaller dish from the proposed location and see if I can get a lock.

The calculator will provide you with an azimuth reading which is East or West of your longitude.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
rolfw said:
I never rely on compass readings when attempting to find a satellite between obstacles, I usually loint a smaller dish from the proposed location and see if I can get a lock.

The calculator will provide you with an azimuth reading which is East or West of your longitude.

Hehe Rolf, to "loint a smaller dish" is probably too technical for most of us mortals (-|-) . I wondered what the meaning of it was and came to the conclusion (after I did not find a meaning to this word on my online encyclopedia) that it is one of those fashionable composite words.
So I figure loint could be a combination of "Loin" and "Joint", that method will probably result in a lock on one of those Dutch mature content chanels. Alternatively it could mean "Lather" & "Ointment", but that takes us even futher away from the topic....

Anyway, I have to agree: The best way is to get another dish and get it pointed to say Astra 19 (where all the German free stuff is). Once you get the position of this, you know you have to go 9 degrees further east and slightly lower. When I installed my second dish, I had the other one on the roof. So I used a string and lay it on the grass aligned with the dish on the roof, and used a long stick next to it aligned 9 deg. east. Then it was down to small movements until I got the signal. Most important is to get within a few degrees to the right position and play around with it. From my experience it does not take too long, just a bit of patience.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
If your smaller dish receives it then you know where to "Point" the big dish ! Or put the compass on the ground away from any metal,and draw a long line in the right direction and go parallel with that.

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
zorba said:
If your smaller dish receives it then you know where to "Point" the big dish ! Or put the compass on the ground away from any metal,and draw a long line in the right direction and go parallel with that.

Or use this link: http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/satellite.htm
This uses the moon or sun to find out if there are obsticles in the way.

Cheers
Puffin

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
OK thanks to you all for the suggestions.
But what I was also wondering : is the satellite really hanging direct above The Democratic Republic of Congo (which is on equator and 28 east)
or if I lived in say Istanbul (which is 28 east too) should I be just pointing the dish directly to the south?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Anton, Yes. :)

@ T_G, If you've never Lointed, you've never lived. ;)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
@ T_G, If you've never Lointed, you've never lived. ;)

Well, this guy once proposed lointing ({}) me but really I had to decline politely... :rolleyes:

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
It is rather rude to loint,one was taught. :p

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry guys, would love to discuss this further, but I have an allointment. :D

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well,I have to get up early tomorrow,got builders coming round.The house needs relointing. ({})

anton

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, as the thread starter may I loint out (and I am saying this loint-blank)it is a loint of honour that such a common mistype of rolfw's could help make the thread alive, although this obviously depends on one's loint of view and some could consider it rather lointless and wish it stopped.
Or have we reached the loint of no return?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I could remove the offending typo, then everyone would wonder what the loint of most of these replies was......But I won't. :)

PS. Back on topic, using your small dish, you need to bracket an area with extreme left and right limits, which can receive the satellite. You can then set your big dish in the middle of it with confidence that there will be no obstructions.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
anton said:
Well, as the thread starter may I loint out (and I am saying this loint-blank)it is a loint of honour that such a common mistype of rolfw's could help make the thread alive, although this obviously depends on one's loint of view and some could consider it rather lointless and wish it stopped.
Or have we reached the loint of no return?

May I loint to the fact that I am the longest thread contender, (says so under my name!) Even though my technical contributions are somewhat suspect I still manage to beef up a thread with some low loin lointing remarks...

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
anton said:
Well, as the thread starter may I loint out (and I am saying this loint-blank)it.....?

Anton, give it up. Your thread has been taken over, no loint resisting. It is lointless as you will never reach a loint where all this makes sence. Loint taken? :confused

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
So I figure loint could be a combination of "Loin" and "Joint",

Does anybody remember an SF short story called, I think, "A Loint of Paw" by (again I think) Isaac Asimov?

As I remember it, the plot was something to do with a trip through time by someone called Stein to commit a crime and then be outside the law as a result.

The whole story was just written so that the punchline could be a terrible pun "A Niche in Time saves Stein".

PaulR

It's amazing how some threads develop a life of their own.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PaulR said:
Does anybody remember an SF short story called, I think, "A Loint of Paw" by (again I think) Isaac Asimov?

Well, in our day and age where mature content rules and crap drowns the internet a random typing of www.loint.com resulted in a delightful dutch site....

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
So what was your longest thread about??

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
zorba said:
So what was your longest thread about??

Well, (to be read in a voice like in the old Moses films) it started off way back in the year 2000. I just had moved to Germany and was desperate to get UK TV. So I looked around and found this site. First I molested 2old4this with lots of questions and before you could say ITV I had a thread running that attracted a lot of interest. As you might already guess it started quite technical and got more and more into the obsurd, by the end no one could really remember what the thread was all about (just like this one). Fortunately for the forum when the old site was moved to the new URL (or at least this was the excuse Rolf told me ;) ) the thread was binned. Ever since the loss of my long thread I am roaming the site looking for innocent newcomers and when I found a suitable one I prey upon his innocent thread trying to recreate those moments of glory.